Double glazed

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
It's not my DIY disaster and I have a feeling that it was done by a company rather than an individual.. which makes it worse, i'm no professional double glazer but i'm pretty sure this isn't right.

ok before shot, they left the old wooden window frame in place and fixed the pvc frame onto it with brackets which then required some thing to cover it, they used pvc profile.

IMG_20181006_202335.jpg

IMG_20181002_131653.jpg

so when you take off the pvc profile it reveals bits of wood that they glued the profile onto and the brackets, plus a gap all the way around the frame.

IMG_20181002_134349.jpg

it is covered on the outside with a thin sheet of some composite with zero percent insulation value and indeed I could quite often see daylight..

IMG_20180925_114513.jpg

IMG_20180922_112010.jpg

I had thought it was a little drafty o_O

Sponsored Links
Rather than screwing through the frame, they've used cleats, which is fine except on composite doors. They could have sprayed foamed around the window before trimming off with plastic. I prefer to order windows tight and plane small bits off in order to eliminate as much gap and trim as possible. Maybe the previous house owner didn't want to pay the extra cost to remove the old window surround.

So not so much a disaster then.. The previous owner was a big company so I can't imagine money was an issue.

I certainly would be ****ed off to spend so much on double glazing for them to leave a 1m2 Gap* and obviously the frame is twice as thick as it should be which means less light, I asked for a quote recently for new double glazing €30,000 o_O

*There's about 100m x 1cm gap

I asked for a quote recently for new double glazing €30,000 o_O
I'd expect to pay between £300 and £400 per window. What size of house do you have? Do you have anything like 100 windows?

Sponsored Links
well 30,000euro / 450 euro is 66 ;) doors are also expensive and England isn't as rip off as you all think, our economy is doing well so everything is more expensive plus we have big windows over here 3mtr x 2mtr is normal, so yes a large percentage of my front and back is window, plus the attic is a room with windows and I wanted lots of them to have a smaller window in the same frame that can open, also with ventilation roaster etc..

So not so much a disaster then.. The previous owner was a big company so I can't imagine money was an issue.

I certainly would be ****ed off to spend so much on double glazing for them to leave a 1m2 Gap* and obviously the frame is twice as thick as it should be which means less light, I asked for a quote recently for new double glazing €30,000 o_O

*There's about 100m x 1cm gap

NHBC regs (New Houses Built Crap) allow reveals to be up to 8mm out of plumb. Often, window companies measure and deduct 10mm off each side, fit, foam and trim off with plastic!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back