1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Double glazing advice

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by andypotter, 10 Oct 2020.

1. andypotter

andypotter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I have old broken double glazing with condensation in between the paynes. I've had someone come out and quote to replace, but he insisted that it was a waste of money and that is need new frames because i wouldn't get any better efficency because of the gap between the 2 paynes was small. Is this bs the gap looks about 10mm to me.

Any advice

2. mrrusty

mrrusty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Timber? uPVC?. If the frames are sound, any DGU can be replaced. If it's timber and has been fixed in with putty or other sealant that has gone so hard it can't easily be removed, it can be a PITA to get out. My method if the sealant is rock hard is to cut through any bead pins with a multitool, take out the beads, flush down any pin remains and then run a small router round with a bearing cutter to cut away all the old sealant ready for the new DGU. Messy job, but only takes 1/2 day per pane. If it's a uPVC frame, it's usually easy to replace the unit.

Cost of the DGU itself is typically £20-£60 depending on size.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. andypotter

andypotter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Its pvc and the seals look easy to remove

5. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    They aren't wrong in that the units aren't as efficient as newer windows with thicker units, the bigger the gap the better but you asked for a quote to replace a blown unit NOT for a new window

6. Sponsored Links