Double glazing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have old broken double glazing with condensation in between the paynes. I've had someone come out and quote to replace, but he insisted that it was a waste of money and that is need new frames because i wouldn't get any better efficency because of the gap between the 2 paynes was small. Is this bs the gap looks about 10mm to me.

Any advice

Sponsored Links
Timber? uPVC?. If the frames are sound, any DGU can be replaced. If it's timber and has been fixed in with putty or other sealant that has gone so hard it can't easily be removed, it can be a PITA to get out. My method if the sealant is rock hard is to cut through any bead pins with a multitool, take out the beads, flush down any pin remains and then run a small router round with a bearing cutter to cut away all the old sealant ready for the new DGU. Messy job, but only takes 1/2 day per pane. If it's a uPVC frame, it's usually easy to replace the unit.

Cost of the DGU itself is typically £20-£60 depending on size.

Timber? uPVC?. If the frames are sound, any DGU can be replaced. If it's timber and has been fixed in with putty or other sealant that has gone so hard it can't easily be removed, it can be a PITA to get out. My method if the sealant is rock hard is to cut through any bead pins with a multitool, take out the beads, flush down any pin remains and then run a small router round with a bearing cutter to cut away all the old sealant ready for the new DGU. Messy job, but only takes 1/2 day per pane. If it's a uPVC frame, it's usually easy to replace the unit.

Cost of the DGU itself is typically £20-£60 depending on size.

Its pvc and the seals look easy to remove

Sponsored Links
They aren't wrong in that the units aren't as efficient as newer windows with thicker units, the bigger the gap the better but you asked for a quote to replace a blown unit NOT for a new window

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back