Double glazing in a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hope you guys can help - I have just moved into a place with a conservatory built in the early 90's. It is aluminium framed and we want to replace one small glass panel with a upvc panel with a cat flap in it.

I tried this weekend to remove the glass panel to measure and get the width but got stuck with the beading.

The frame is solid and doesn't have any kind of clip in beading just a black hammered in gasket all round the outside. The outside doesn't appear to have anything to remove at all.

I got 3 gaskets out without any damage but the final one is really stuck in. Before I try any more I wanted to seek some advice on whether I am doing the right thing. Am I correct in believing that once the gaskets are out the panel will come out? Is there any way this window can't be removed? I.e put in when built and that's that?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Are all those pics from the inside? Can you show a couple from the other side?

It looks to be aluminum and some sort of shuffle glazed system but its hard to tell from those pics. The gasket in your pic is not a wedge gasket so I dont think that one needs to come out, Is there another gasket on the other side?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, the original pictures are from the inside, I have attached some more from the outside.

There does look like a thin gasket on the outside, having looked at it closely from the outside I am wondering if the whole vertical strip comes off?

Very tricky to see form those pics. Can you show a full non opening section from both inside and out please, Including the frame around it.

The opening sash would be easy to deglaze, That one is a basic external bead and should have an internal wedge gasket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back