Double glazing issue in bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a 1930's house and the bedroom back windows have fairly new double glazing fitted however the two windows that open on the size of the bay in the back room when closed fit tight against the frame as the locking side but on the hinge side they stick out from the frame probably 4-5mm. You can just make out the sky on the outside the gap is so big on one of the windows. I suspect the frame wasn't fitted correctly in the bay originally and it might have dropped, infact in the top left corner of the bay wasps have found a small crack to get in to the soffet to build a nest.

Could it be that the whole frame could be taken out and refitted by people who know what they are doing or am I realistically looking at new windows. if I am are companies like Everest any good or should I avoid the big players like the plague ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they are fairly new they should be under guarantee. Do you know who fitted them?
Hard to tell from your description but it sounds like it might just be the hinges. Clean the hinges and put some Vaseline in the corners (should be a triangle shaped bit where the hinges pull in) open and close the window several times to see if that helped.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay. Anyhow my father decided to help with figuring things out. It turned out the bay window at the back had been fitted not too well and it had been over tightened in to the brick work which had pulled the frame out of alignment. The screws were very long because of the huge gaps the cowboys had left all the way around the frame. Anyway my father made some customer wood inserts for each side and screwed these to the walls, then screwed the frame to the wooden inserts. We then used expanding foam to fill the gaps, put new plastic covered on the outside and inside and now the windows are perfect, warm and soooo quiet. Basically good windows terrible fitters ......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back