Double Glazing Scratch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had double glazing fitted and guy came round today to sort out the snags. Replaced 3 scratched windows but said that he couldn’t replace a 4th because the scratch was within 50mm of the side of the window frame:not the installers rules but those of the manufacturer. The scratch is small but I am of the opinion that my new windows should be in pristine condition. Am I right or wrong?

Sponsored Links
I am afarid your installer is quite correct. Scratches within 50mm of the edge of the pane are deemed acceptable . The GGF ( Glass and Glazing Federation ) , also state that any mark that is not visible from standing 3mtrs away , not looking at the glass but through the glass, and not in direct sunlight , are completely acceptable - Any ' fully enclosed seed ' is acceptable too. If the installer were to send this back to the Sealed unit manufacturer they would reject a warranty claim, citing the GGf rules

But as an installer I would swallow the cost of a new unit myself just to keep MY customer happy as its that customer that will recommend me to his friends, the glass shop will do nothing for me but take my money and supply scratched units, I knew of the GGF rule but its a poor show when glass shops have to rely on a rule to get them off the hook when really they need to take a closer look at their processes to have supplied 4 scratched units

its a poor show when glass shops have to rely on a rule to get them off the hook when really they need to take a closer look at their processes to have supplied 4 scratched units
Better late than never.
I thought that I had replied to this post, many, many, months ago. However, clearly I didn't, so let me put that straight right now. I emailed the company quoting the above part of your reply but changing 'glass shops' to the companies name and the number of scratched windows to 7. Got an immediate reply from the company director stating that all scratched windows would be replaced regardless of GGF rules and they were. So a belated thanks to you crank39.

Sponsored Links
Not to dismiss what Ronnie said as its all true the rule does exist but if I was the company owner or a small set up I'd be wanting my customers to be happy and recommend my company, **** happens, glass is scratched, wrong colour spacer bars fitted I've seen it all I think, it's how you respond that sets you apart from the rest

Example, tell me what's wrong with these, Ronnie will spot it

20221117_084748.jpg
20221117_084757.jpg

Absolutely Crank. A good company will replace a scratched sealed unit, and a good sealed unit manufacturer will replace it too BUT if they refuse for any reason then technically the consumer has to abide by the GGF guidelines

A couple of years ago I did some decorating in a new extension. The glass sliding doors cost £20k. They were anthracite with anthracite glazing bars. Unfortunately, on sunny days, you could see the bright aluminium specs left over from cutting the bars sitting in the bottom of the windows.

I did mention it to the project manager. I hope that the customer got a partial refund.

I've seen full hand prints, palm prints, thumb and finger prints along the edges in glass units, I've even seen the odd cork transit pad left on and sealed in, you can accept sometimes a small scratch is missed but a cork pad.......ha ha!

Years ago we bought some sealed units from Pilkingtons , one came with a live spider in it!

Example, tell me what's wrong with these, Ronnie will spot it

View attachment 286008View attachment 286009
Come on crank39. I've been retired for 31 years and have been very busy doing absolutely nothing. Consequently, or therefore or so, I don't want to spend the next 31years, coming back here and trying to work out what or where the fault in your image lies. I am not implying that there is a fault in the image of you of course, that is not for me to say. No, I am referring to the fault in the image of the door you have posted in your reply. : )
ps: complete the following sentencE. And the fault is....................................

Don't know about the door as wasn't there to look at that but there is a fault with the glass units, come on guys anymore takers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back