Double Insulated Symbol with Earth Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a lighting circuit with no earth.

I have purchased a wall light from BHS (Amelie 3 light). The back of the light shows a square within a square on the plastic transformer, but still has an earth wire coming out of it and into an external connection block and the instructions state it must be earthed. I'm confused, I thought double insulated meant no need for earth. Or is this because the connection to mains is made via an external connector block and the wires in my wall are not wired directly into the transformer block?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Maybe the transformer is part of the light? So although the tranny doesn't require an earth, the fitting does?

cheers for your replies....

On closer inspection, the transformer (which is connected to the light fitting itself) has the two wires coming from it into the connector block, and the earth seems to come from behind the transformer into the connector block, more than likely directly connected to the chrome of the light fitting.

It would be possible to undo two screws on a small cover plate on the transformer itself and release the two wires going into the connector block and then connect the mains directly to the transformer and replace this cover, but this still leaves the earth whose connection is obsured by the transformer. The manufacturers are Vogue Lighting, so I will give them a call.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the Tx is DI but the light fitting its attached to isn't, as it is metal bodied with exposed mains terminals within.

only the transformer itself has the DI symbol on ot and when used in a suitable plastic fitting it is indeed DI..

personally i'd say move the transformer out of the fitting into a seperate plastic enclosure and then rely on the fact the output is SELV to protect against shocks from the fitting.

Then you're modifying the fitting & voiding any CE markings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back