Double light sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my hall/landing dimmer switch broke, leaving the upstairs light on full power when turned on.

I have bought a new switch and wired in accordance with the wiring diagram. Everthing worked when I checked, until I tried to turn the light off from upstairs (standard single pivot switch) which did not work.

I noticed when I removed the old switch that the wires were not as the new diagram, but assumed that it must have been wired wrongly originally, so did not make a note.

Has anybody any suggestions what may be the problem please.

Sponsored Links
Wire the new dimmer switch as the old one was originally.

Sounds like a COM/L1 mix?

Have a look at the other light switch and copy where the wired lead to (L1/L2 and COM) - Then use common sense with the new switch.

What colour are the wires? Older (yellow/blue/red) or newer Grey/black/Brown?

Yellow Blue Red

From Memory I have wired - com - yellow
L1 - red
L2 - blue

I think blue may have been in L1 originally but cannot be sure.

Sponsored Links
Yellow Blue Red
From Memory I have wired - com - yellow
L1 - red
L2 - blue
I think blue may have been in L1 originally but cannot be sure.

How good is your memory.

If it is a standard two way setup with the downstairs hallway and upstairs landing switch controlling the upstairs landing light then in one switch you should have three conductors plus earth and in the other five conductors plus earth.

The switch with the five conductors will be the one that brings the power to the switch. If red is the live and black is the switch live then the red goes in L1 and the black goes in the L2. For the other three conductors I put the yellow in Common, the red in L1 and the blue in L2.

At the second swtich which should just have yellow red and blue sleeved conductors- put the yellow in Common, the red in L1 and the blue in L2.

You should also put red sleeving over any colour other than red to indicate that they are switch lives.

How good is your memory.

If it is a standard two way setup with the downstairs hallway and upstairs landing switch controlling the upstairs landing light then in one switch you should have three conductors plus earth and in the other five conductors plus earth.

The switch with the five conductors will be the one that brings the power to the switch. If red is the live and black is the switch live then the red goes in L1 and the black goes in the L2. For the other three conductors I put the yellow in Common, the red in L1 and the blue in L2.

At the second swtich which should just have yellow red and blue sleeved conductors- put the yellow in Common, the red in L1 and the blue in L2.

You should also put red sleeving over any colour other than red to indicate that they are switch lives.

riveralt Thanked: 101 times
Well deserved too... :)

One side has has red to to L1 and blue to L2 which operates the down stairs light perfectly.

Other side which is the two way is red to L1, blue to L2, and yellow to Com, as diagram with switch

One side has has red to to L1 and blue to L2 which operates the down stairs light perfectly.

Other side which is the two way is red to L1, blue to L2, and yellow to Com, as diagram with switch

Which switch are you talking about?

Either provide a photograph of both switch's inside wiring or describe in detail what you have for each switch, its location and what it does or is supposed to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back