Double light switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i've got a problem that has me kind of stumped and hopefully someone can help. I'm fitting a new kitchen and am trying to install new under cabinet lighting. I thought it would be a good idea to replace my single main light switch with a double switch so i can control the under cabinet lighting from the same place as the main kitchen light. Every example i see of wiring a double switch assumes 3 core + earth cable. My existing kitchen light switch only has 2 cores + earth and therefore i'm not entirely sure how to wire my double switch.

The switch has 2 banks, each bank has a L at the top then an L1 and L2 at the bottom.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your switch also does not have a neutral so you can't do what you are hoping to do.

Assuming that you have loop-in lighting (see the WIKI if you don't know)
You will need one new cable from the switch to take the switched live to the undercupboard lights and another new cable from the ceiling light rose to the undercupboard lights. This will be for the lighting circuit's neutral.

Simples (well it is for me)

All of this is in the DIYNOT WIKI........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back