double light switch replacement now blowing a fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

hope you can help. i replaced a crome double light switch which i thought should be easy but i now have my doubts.

the switch had 2 red 2 black and 2 earth

i wired the 2 red to the 'comm' positions and the 2 blacks to the '1 way' positions the earths were connected to the earth on the wall plate

all seems to work ok but when switching both light on together the fuse has gone twice in 2 weeks now.

there is a earth connection on the switch should i run a wire from the earth connection on the wall fitting to the switch? this was not connected on the switch i took off?

your advise would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Running an earth fro the switch to back box is a good idea with a metal switchplate, but doesn't sound like the answer to your problem.

You say the fuse blows - have you actually got wired fuses, or trip switches? And is it the lighting circuit switch (circuit breaker) which goes, or a switch marked RCD (or RCCB or RCBO)? And does this happen every time you use both switches, or just occasionally, and what about when you switch the switches individually?

Finally, when you replace the fuse, do you also have to replace a light bulb - blowing bulbs can cause breakers to trip and, sometimes, fuses to blow.

PJ

Hi thanks for the reply, the fuse box is an old wired fuses no trip switches.
no lights blow. the switch is in the kitchen and operates the spots in the cieling and the under cabinet lights, the fuse does not blow everytime both are swtiched on or individually.

the switch was replaced about 2 months ago and no problems until a few weeks ago when it blew, and 2 days ago. i have not been here when it went but my wife said it blow when she swtiched both on together

since replacing the fuse, i have swtich both lights on together and im yet to get the fuse to blow again.

On the old switch was there any link wires, linking any terminals together?

And the lights that this switch controls: Are there any other switches that control the same lights? Other side of the room etc?

Sponsored Links
hi steve

there are no other switches that control the lights on the switch i took off there were no linked wires, the only difference was the old switch had a comm at the top of one and the bottom of the other, excuse the expression but kind of 69 if you get my drift. the new switch has both comms at the top

hope this helps

Are there any exposed bits of copper on the wires as they enter the terminal?

What brand is the switch? Is the earth wire sleeved on its entire length in the switch box?

If theres any exposed bits of wire, get them trimmed / sleeved / tidied up. Check the wires for nicks and cuts inside the box too, they could be earthing to the box.

hi
one of the comms wire has about 2mm of exposed wire, i will sort that out. all the earth wire is sleeved. got the swtich from homebase

hi steve

thanks for all your help and advice. i just noticed that one of the bulbs under to kitchen cabinets had blown, do you think this is the cause of the fuse to go? fuses has never gone in the 20 years ive been in the house and many bulbs have gone in that time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back