two wall lights one double switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please can you help i have 1 double light switch each switch has 1 red live wire at the top and 1 black wire at the bottom ,one wall light wall fixing has 2 reds screwed together two earths put toghether but two blacks just loose the other fitting has 3 reds together 3 earths together and 3 blacks loose , the person who took it the orignal fitting off thought the blacks were all together ,but when it was connected this way the lights stayed on then blew the fuse when the switch was switched off ?? the rest of the lights in the house work when the blacks are seperate so im thinking the person who took the original fitting made a mistake thinking the blacks were toogether how do i find the right wire to connect ive some wiring experiance and have a meter

Sponsored Links
Do you know how to use it?

Do you know how lighting circuit work?

At the lights you need to find which blacks cone from the switch, as these will not be neutrals.

Sponsored Links
Switch off the power and test for dead.

At the light, meter set to continuity ohms (Ω & beep), one probe on the live loop (reds),
other probe on a black and determine which black has continuity (beeps) when you operate the switch.

This black is the switched live and should be sleeved red and connected to the live of the lamp.

The other blacks (if more than one) are the neutrals and should be connected together and to the neutral of the lamp.

The reds are connected together but to nothing else.

i use a multimeter day to day in my job for measuring continuity and voltage on machine so i know how to use a meter ,im not totaly sure how the lighting works but was thinking if i hold my meter to the red live wires in each wall socket and meter with the each of the blacks i should be able to find my swich wire by turning lights on and off ?? if so what do i do with other blacks ? thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back