Double Light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new chrome 2 way light switch to replace an existing plastic one. I have 2 red wires one of which is taped off, two black wires and an earth.
I connected the red wire to L then another piece of red wire connecting the two L's together, then each of the black wires to either L1.
The main light now works fine, however now neither of the wall lights work.

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
First tell us what the markings are on the terminals of the new switch, they should be COM, L1 and L2 for each switch. When you say a red is taped up, do you mean marked with a piece of tape or taped up as in not being used. A photo would help

There are two sets of L, L1 and L2
and yes the second red wire is taped up as in not being used.

P9170017.jpg

P9170018.jpg

sorry for the big blurry images!

Hard to tell from the pic.... it looks like the blacks are switch wires and the red is a permanent live. You should put some brown or red tape around the insulation of the black cables to identify them as switched lives and then connect to the L1 terminal, one in each of there respective switches. The red then connects to the L terminal at the top of the switch and using a short piece of red cable link both L terminals together.

Sponsored Links
thats as i thought, and have it connected, however the wall lights still fail to work - so any ideas

Try swapping the switch wires around to rule out the possability of a faulty switch. Have you any way of testing for voltage at the wall lights? What was the original switch wired like?

try the wall lights with the main light on, maybe one of the blacks is the live in rather than the red

Check that you haven't tightened a grubscrew onto insulation instead of bare copper. It's easily done. Failing that, baz1968's idea of swapping wires around is worth a try. Swap the two black wires. If that doesn't change anything then 333rocky333 may have the answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back