Double Oven & Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a combined oven & hob with seperate oven & hob.

The new appliances are rated 6.5kw (hob) & up to 5.8kw (double oven). The existing supply is currently 45A. I have my doubts as to whether I can connect to a single 45A supply, and would welcome any advice you could give me on this.

If applicable, what is the best way to make this connection? I appreciate that oven & hob connections have been covered frequently in this forum, but not for the ratings I have mentioned.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Had a similar scenario when we refitted our kitchen, but think about it, how many times are you going to have the hob and oven, all burners working full capacity? In reality, a 32A MCB could probably protect all this, but it would give nuisance tripping when/if you turn everything on at once. The hob burners cycle on and off on a thermostat, so after initial warm up, they wont all be on at once. Same applies for the ovens. Stick with the 45A, with 10mm T+E to a 45A switch, then take 10mm to 2 cooker outlet plates. Connect your hob and oven to these with 10mm cable.

**** that was a quick reply!!! :eek: Thanks very much!

I've worked out that the hob would draw around 27A, and the oven around 24A. I assume from your suggestion that you would consider it safe for either / both of these items to be protected by the single 45A fuse from the supply?

Is it an idea to put in 2 32A MCB's? One in line with each of the appliances?

If you search for diversity on Electrics UK you will find plenty of discussion on this and related topics - mostly useful :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, but as I said before, I haven't been able to find anything relating to ratings of this size. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back