Double oven pipework disaster

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our oven went pop yesterday, element failed again and Mrs was sick of it and always wanted a double built under oven so I ordered her one for delivery this morning.

Pulled the old single oven out and discovered that there was pipework in the way.

I have a 22mm ch feed, return and gas pipe running accross the bottom of the cabinet right where the back of the oven needs to be. By the look of it they all need moving down the wall about 6". Not being an expert I'm assuming that this could be done by putting some elbows in before and after the oven so it clears it.

Realistically what should I look at paying in London to get this done?

Sponsored Links
You make a very good point!

On the right hand side of the oven unit the pipes are the required 550mm from the front of the cabinet but they move away from the wall by the left side by about 20mm. Top one is the return, middle is feed and bottom is gas.

Edit: should add that they move about 4cm closer to the wall in the second picture where they bend.

Attachments

• IMG_8751.JPG
    IMG_8751.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_8752.JPG
    IMG_8752.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 374
Can you change the oven for one that fits ?

depends on where you live in London but a guess say around £300+vat to move the pipes :idea:

Some of London's top gas men are on this site and could be local to you,Easy job thou.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Sponsored Links
Ouch!

Just thinking this through - if I moved the plastic water pipes could I heat up those central heating bends and just push them into the wall (I.e. So they rotate)?

There is movement on the pipes So it looks like they would go closer to the wall. Have measured and wouldn't need to do anything with gas because it's below the oven.

Or I could just cut them and join back up in plastic.

If that is an electrical oven, single would have been on a 13 amp circuit
Double oven will need a lot more power, you will need that sorted too

• Thanks
If that is an electrical oven, single would have been on a 13 amp circuit
Double oven will need a lot more power, you will need that sorted too

Socket on the left was for single oven from kitchen ring but box on the right is a radial fed in 6mm on a 32a breaker.

Total draw from the oven and hob is 11000w max which is within tolerance for the circuit.

Most ovens will have enough space behind them to allow for the pipes you have, whats the make and model of your oven ?

• Thanks
Can't you raise ove to miss pipes or pull cabinet forward

Paul
Think this is my best bet but have had to put this on hold because none of the diy sheds sell the dual cooker connection units that I need to sort this out and everything else is closed today.

Kitchen cabinets are normally at least 570 deep, that will give you 20mm for pipes at the back of oven, once you take the old carcass out you might be able to get a bit more clearance.

• Thanks
I think you are looking for a problem that doesnt exist, your new oven will be deigned to be fitted in a standard sized unit same as your old oven did

• Thanks
From the picture the electrical boxes stick out further than the pipes do, so they are likely to be the problem. The pipes almost certainly are not.
The electrical items can be recessed into the wall.
If you can't get a double connection plate, get a dual backbox and two single connection plates.

Not ideal to have cables draped over heating pipes either.

• Thanks
I think you are looking for a problem that doesnt exist, your new oven will be deigned to be fitted in a standard sized unit same as your old oven did

Previous oven was only single and didn't go down that far. Only exposed the pipework this morning when I took the bottom off the oven unit carcass.

The part of the oven that needs to go into the unit is 55cm deep. The pipe is 53cm (at best) to the front. There is a cut out at the back but for some reason the oven has bits that stick out on either side of the cut out.

Electrical boxes are going to be moved.

Managed to get it wired up last night and gained some space by pulling the unit out slightly.

Oven is however touching the central heating return pipe at the back. Since the case shouldn't get too hot I'm not too worried about heat but am worried about the pipe expanding and contracting against the oven and wearing through.

Can anyone suggest something thin I could wrap around the pipe to protect it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back