Opinions needed on plumbing job

It's the fruitcakes and the ill informed that ruin it

Apology happily accepted Dan, unfortunately, there's a lot of the professionals here that seem to come in to the fruitcake category at times - but at least it makes the world diverse.

Sponsored Links
Hi. So an update on the pipework. Decided to rip out all of the previous rubbish, where I found out that the supposed straight run to the end of the radiator was not only not level but also not straight.
2016-10-01%2021.58.31.jpg

Anyway. Bought myself some new toys, also have a heat mat but not in the photo.
2016-10-01%2021.57.24.jpg

Started but not yet finished the pipework. Its all done dry and in my opinion is looking good. Ill burn it up tomorrow and hopefully it will look the same.
2016-10-01%2021.59.15.jpg

I thought this was the best option to use existing holes through the brickwork but keep the pipework level.
2016-10-01%2022.00.05.jpg

Quite tidy on the other side also
2016-10-01%2022.00.36.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can show you finsihed pictures and tell you theres no leaks.

Matt

Nice job fella. You've put his efforts to shame there.

Be careful with that torch though, that gas burns very hot and it wont take long to sweat those joints in with it! If you can, I'd take the valves off the end of the pipes until you've soldered up, or you could easily melt the washers.

Well. Pipework is all finished. Ive refilled the system and all is looking good. No leaks so far. Its far from perfect but Im happy with it. Now I can repair the plaster and move on with my decorating.
2016-10-02%2021.39.32.jpg

2016-10-02%2021.40.54.jpg

2016-10-02%2021.42.45.jpg

Matthew

Also. Thanks to everyone who helped me out

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well done you ... (y) you put that so called professional to shame. You should take those photos and do a before and after and send them to his trader site as part of his feedback, give him a showing up.

Looks good.. I don't know if you worked it out for yourself but with pre-soldered fittings, keep the torch away from the solder and on the fitting & pipe, that way the solder sucks in to the joint rather than just melts out. I personally dab a bit extra on the outside.

I wouldn't let the guy off the hook - ask him for a partial refund of at least the cost of your materials.

Be careful about creating humps as they can trap air.

Its far from perfect but Im happy with it.
Don't do yourself down - that is a fine job for a DIY'er(y) When those pipes are painted the slight kink won't notice.
2016-10-02%2021.40.54.jpg

2016-10-02%2021.42.45.jpg

Matthew

Also. Thanks to everyone who helped me out

Great first job :!:
Not to many burn marks and cant see to much solder runs,once painted it will look the job.
Are you free second week in november?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back