Opinions needed on plumbing job

I had been recommended a plumber by a friend but the earliest he could look at it was early Nov

There is a good reason for that and you've just discovered it. That is a joke of a job though. Paints us all with a bad brush! I have weeks of work sorting that kind of crap out, but the customer goes on about it as if I'm responsible for the mess they're left with.

It makes a fantastic job very downheartening. Not helped by some of the diy morons here that should be encouraging people like yourself to find good tradesmen rather than the quickest (and/or) cheapest alternative.

Sponsored Links
My bathroom is still not finished, and I started in 2008. Now need to take the basin back off the wall, and fix it properly, then can see about fitting some decent flooring.

Bedroom needs totally decorating, hallway need to finish stripping the paper off the ceiling, and then hopefully find some paint that will stick to it....

Not even thinking about the living room. :cry:

Sponsored Links
The problem with sites like mybuilder and trust a trader, is that you have to pay to use them, so the whole setup is questionable. There were problems reported about the TaT site, and it turned out that the site were always ruling in favour of the trader when there was a complaint

The guy was obviously crap as beginners use Yorkshire fitting, and plumbers use end feed. If he was worried about heat affecting the walls, then he should have used Heatblock. As to the rad valve, for now, move it so that it's inline with the pipe, and tilted backwards.

I suspect the joints also leaking because he put the ptfe tape on the thread, and not between the olive and the seat, but boss white ptfe pipe jointing compound is better than loctitie 577 (but you should go for the 572 if you want to use Loctite).

Ignore the screwfix option, it's not what you're after.

You want a good blowtorch rather than a brazing torch, but you could get away with using the screwfix soldering torch and butane gas at £27.48, and if you use the end feed, then you'll need flux and solder, so Yorkshire fittings might work out cheaper, and as Phod says, there's a simplicity to them.

Not helped by some of the diy morons here that should be encouraging people like yourself to find good tradesmen rather than the quickest (and/or) cheapest alternative.

Sorry Dan, I was under the impression that the site was to help people, not an alternative to Trust a Trader. Being a mechanical engineer, he's got a good skill set, and having been bitten once, I suspect he's reluctant to get bitten again.

My bathroom is still not finished, and I started in 2008. Now need to take the basin back off the wall, and fix it properly, then can see about fitting some decent flooring.

Bedroom needs totally decorating, hallway need to finish stripping the paper off the ceiling, and then hopefully find some paint that will stick to it....

Not even thinking about the living room. :cry:

By the time I get round to doing the ensuite, I might just start the family bathroom again and smash 2 I one :D

Tony I thought you were at the college or what ever, some of your posts are dead funny

How urgent was it REEEERAAAALLLY? My main bathroom hasn't had architrave for nearly 3 years years.

Well I have no living room at the moment. No Tv, No Xbox, No Computer and No Sofa. So I'd put that at the top of my list of priorities. Until the plumbings done I cant finish the plaster repair and painting the room and then laying the new floor.

Matt

Well I have no living room at the moment. No Tv, No Xbox, No Computer and No Sofa. So I'd put that at the top of my list of priorities. Until the plumbings done I cant finish the plaster repair and painting the room and then laying the new floor.

Matt

Good excuse to go to the Pub?

Until the plumbings done I cant finish the plaster repair and painting the room and then laying the new floor.

Matt

At least you do the plastering and painting BEFORE you lay the new floor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back