Plumb and radiator

Tjs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber come round and pipe up a little rad, I put the radiator on the wall, I even got all floor boards up that he needed. He come today piped it up and when I got home it was leaking on a 't' join, I contacted him at 5 in the evening (bear in mind he lives 2 doors away from me) has said I can't do it all my tools at work etc etc ill do it tomorrow after work, so he leaves me no boiler as it's a combi, no heating etc. I've gone and done it myself and put more solder round the join and I got it all up and running, I'm going to ask for a 1/3 of my money back as it was only a 3/4 job that he done. Is there a test he should of carried out before he left it too see if there is no leaks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Repressurising the system to around 1 bar should have been an obvious test - any leak should have shown up then.
I'll not comment on any fees reduction.
I'm impressed that you could resolder a join when there was water in the system though!
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Tjs
Well when my gf got home the boiler had no pressure in the boiler, he did the job come down and said there you go all done.

Impressed with water in the system, no I drained the system down until there was no water in the upstairs rads(that's where it was).

Sponsored Links
1/3 of your money back as he did 3/4's of the job??

Then he will ask you for 1/12 of the money back from you as you have underpaid??? ;) ;)

How do you separate how much of the job each part was?

What about the materials?

I think leaving without the use of our boiler you shouldn't deserve to get paid. I supplied all materials.

Must be nice never to make any mistakes eh Tjs??? A plumber that says he has never had a leak is know a liar!

Just wondering have you come on here to say you arnt paying the fella or asking how much you can knock off the bill??

This is a DIY site, if you are so skilled in plumbing etc why didnt come on here sooner then and do the job yourself.

If you feel wronged dont pay him just dont try and justify yourself on an internet forum.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sounds like the guy has done a homer for the op, possibly for cash.

And still expects immediate service!

Either way, if he's 2 doors or 200 why does he have to work all hours? He said he'd come the next day.

I have done my own plumbing and no leaks and that was 6 months ago, I got a plumber round as I never had the correct tools eg blow torch, solder etc, I know fellow plumbers will stick up for each other but do you all leave your customers without a functioning boiler in January? Yes we all make mistakes but a basic bit of solder as there wasn't enough come on!!!

The plumber was prepared to come back the next evening and fix it, his tools were elsewhere and he was unable to access them,
Leaks happen, it was inconvient, worse things can happen, it didnt cause a flood.
The leak could have been caused by expansion of the pipe sometime after the heating was on, its just one of those things.

The heating never went on it was only when my gf went to turn the heating on and the pressure had completely gone, I had to ring around and borrow some tools, and I did have a nice puddle on my floor, and ceiling soaked. like the first person said putting up the pressure should show you if a leak has occurred. I'm sure if it was your house maybe you wouldn't be so understanding?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back