Plumber taking the Mick!

Yeah I think I have, its very good.

do you use push fit for ceiling voids, studwork etc - like running hot and cold feeds?

Im doing a downstairs bathroom and wasn’t sure whether to use copper or plastic.

I never put push fittings anywhere that's not accessible

Sponsored Links
Thumbs up here for end feed soldered copper. My son the apprentice solders all the time.

Sponsored Links
I used to solder everything.
Then I worked in new build and everything was plastic.
I only saw a couple of pushfit joints leaking when they'd mixed brands.
I've used hep2o a lot and never experienced a leak.
Not saying that plastic is better, but surely it's quicker, allows for more flexibility and it's cheaper.
Also, I have seen heating copper pipes clogged with gunk, while the plastic seems to be smoother and the gunk doesn't stick as much.
I personally think the obsession with soldering comes from a dying skill that plumbers don't want to give up.
Similarly to carpenters insisting on chiselling door hinges by hand when they can do the same (and better) with a router.
Said this, surely soldering has its place, for example in exposed pipes or where space is limited.
Personal opinion, I'm a carpenter, not a plumber.

As we have always said, plastic can be fantastic but copper is proper. You can't beat the longevity of soldered copper and if performed properly can't be beaten.

To say plastic isn't as good is a bit unfair, it has it's uses and some customers are looking for the cheaper option with a faster installation. That and a lot of insurers are now more reluctant to insure hot works in attics/closed spaces unless you pay through the nose and compression can be just as fickle. I always recommend soldered copper in the main and insist on it in certain areas but always give my clients the option (a few have actually asked for plastic)

In my experience, it's all about testing with plastic. As long as there are scratch free ends, matched inserts/fittings, seals lubricated, it is filled, bled and pressure tested (to bed in the grab rings) then it can be absolutely fine and has its place.

1. Totally agree with Madrab. Like any other system, provided its installed and tested properly and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, plastic piping / fittings will do the job as well as copper.
2. However, copper:
2.1 Requires fewer clips.
2.2 Is more resistant to rodent attack.
2.3 Can be recycled indefinitely.
2.4 Looks better if on show, albeit this is a personal opinion.

I've been doing this job for over 50 years not got a problem modern gear.
Plastic is almost impossible to avoid on new build first fix.
My blow lamp is almost retired moved to press fittings years ago. Have found customers like the idea of no hot work.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I've been doing this job for over 50 years not got a problem modern gear.
Plastic is almost impossible to avoid on new build first fix.
My blow lamp is almost retired moved to press fittings years ago. Have found customers like the idea of no hot work.

Like press fittings.
I use Butline but not used the copper

A lad that used to work for me, served his apprenticeship as a plumber with the local Council, he couldnt solder a fitting as they were never taught because the councils insurance didnt allow hot works only the gas engineers get shown how to solder

1. Totally agree with Madrab. Like any other system, provided its installed and tested properly and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, plastic piping / fittings will do the job as well as copper.
2. However, copper:
2.1 Requires fewer clips.
2.2 Is more resistant to rodent attack.
2.3 Can be recycled indefinitely.
2.4 Looks better if on show, albeit this is a personal opinion.
Agree with all but 2.1.
I have deliberately installed plastic pipes in places where it's impossible to use clips (narrow gaps, boxing in going from floor to floor, etc.)
Plastic pipes are flexible and providing they're properly clipped near the joint, they can happily be unclipped in those situations.
Unlike copper which needs to be kept in place with clips in the exact spots.
I have come across full lengths of unsupported copper pipes that had sagged to a banana shape and eventually leaked at the joint.
This won't happen with plastic because the joint, at least with hep2o, can be twisted after being fitted, it's designed to do that.
Said this, if copper is fixed in place properly, can be a lot more durable (seen in my own house original pipes).
But we don't know that for sure because plastic pipes have not been around long enough to say.
Time will tell if the 50 year guarantee given by some plastic manufacturers was done because the product is durable or just as a marketing strategy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back