opinions needed..!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

just had new boiler fitted (for info- glowworm regular condensing fitted on existing 20yr old old standard open vented system, 22mm system pipes but microbore to rads (4 upstairs rads, 4 down plus HW cylinder).

So he didn't wire in a pump overun (the wiring wasn't there was his excuse) so am fitting this wiring myself. (I know what I'm doing with that fine...)

But also didn't flush the system & it's a bit mingin really. For the price the job is ok but obviously not installed to manuf spec so needs cleaned. (Yes i won't go with the cheapest quote next time (':oops:')

So.. now looking for some opinion on cleaning the system.

So questions for your opinions:

1. I take it if the water isn't clear (black/brown) then it could knacker the new boiler and invalidate warranty so really does need cleaned right?? HOW bad is it for a new boiler, like should we be cleaning it asap or ok to run for a few weeks first?

2. If yes, then can I shove some cleaner in it & run on fairly hot for say a week without risk of damaging new boiler with cleaning chemical?

3. Is this a waste of time anyway cos unless I flush it properly I won't clean it out properly??

Few years ago I took the downstairs rads off & flushed in garden with hose, put in cleaner for a week then refilled with inhibitor so thought it wouldnt be too bad, but now when drained & refilled (twice) during install it's dirty looking water. Having done this I don't fancy the removing rads option again....

I've read the faq on using mains water from a hose to flush (here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38902) which is great but the hassle of having to temporarily replumb the expansion tank/vent etc is putting me off.

If folks think that's a good options then my next question is

4. Is disconnecting the flow and return from the boiler and using those pipes to connect hose fittings and run the water through to flush (in both directions) a good place, does it matter?

5. Will it damage my pump (which is under the floor although I have access to it) to run mains through it? If i remove the pump & run the flush through the rest of system then I'm flushing through new boiler instead which is worse right??

7. Any other opinions on best way to cleanse (powerflush machine is ~£80 would save replumbing tank, good option?)

Sorry I know this is long debated but given the system info hopefully someone has some advice on some of my questions..!

Thanks folks...

PS forgot- last ask- how much give is there in 22mm compression fittings when pipes are at a bit of an angle entering say a 22mm elbow and ptfe tape is used.. will they last as long as not leaking (angle into one of compression fittings is like maybe 15 degrees or something where feed is connected above boiler... cheers...)

Sponsored Links
You pay for what you get, is the system water is that bad your boiler is not going to last long.
Should have been powerflushed and a filter added, why was the pump overrun not fitted.
is the bench mark book filled in?? is he gas safe registred??

1 - If the water is full of crud, then yes, it can easily damage the boiler and other components, and goodbye any warranty (which probably isn't valid now anyway).
2 - You can, although there is no guarantee that will not cause damage. All the rubbish is still in there, the chemicals make it easier to flush out.
3 - For proper cleaning, proper flushing out is required. While some cleaning can be done with the garden hose method, this won't be anywhere as good as using the proper machine and chemicals. Powerflush machines can be hired for a moderate sum.
4 - Realistically the only place, as anywhere else means flushing all the crud through the boiler, which is the very thing you want to avoid.
5 - Possibly, no way to know. Why is it under the floor?
6 - missing?
7 - Quite frankly, a 20 year old system with microbore pipes full of crud is life expired, and should be replaced. Anything else is just postponing the inevitable for a few months.

Pipes into compression fittings at an angle will leak, and no amount of PTFE tape or any other substance will change that.

thanks guys,
yes he was gas safe, filled in to say he did it when he didn't...
I told him pump overun was part of install but he said needed a spark to fit overun etc etc... didn't get anywhere
He wasn't so much cheaper than the other quote that I didn't think he'd do the job properly.. happy to pay for things to get done right! Will know to get a written quote broken down by item next time I guess...

Anyway, now trying to sort...

thanks for opinions flameport, really appreciated!!

So you're saying even with a powerflush it's a short term fix..?
Surely the copper piping isn't knackered, although I guess you're saying the rads are rusted and won't last?

Also if I powerflush i don't need to replumb exp tank & vent cos the pressure isn't too high right?
Or is the pressure high enough to pump straight out & I'll need to do a temp replumb at tank?

thanks!

also what approx price of a flush? (I'd get someone in to do it maybe but wanna know it's done right... I'm doing half the boiler install myself now anyway!!)

Sponsored Links
Apart from a very good post, i feel i should say, my daughters 20 yr microbore system was fitted with a new boiler 5 yrs ago not flushed and is still fine, we don't know the systems history before that.

which glowworm is it? the flexicoms can take a bit of a bashing (not that im advocating it) but if its a ultracom they're more dirt intolerant. Sounds like a 3Fs install.

It is not always possible to Power flush a Microbore system, due to the lack of flow rate that can travel through 8mm pipe work!!
probably best to remove each rad and flush out with a hose in the garden (before the hosepipe ban!!) then drain what is left in the system add soft cleaner, fill up let it all circulate for a few hours, drain and flush before refill with inhibitor fit a magnetic and particle filter in the return to the boiler - job done!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back