black sludge keeps returning

first of all ask him ie is time served, not a 6 month effort.

1.ask for references.

2.get him to do a small job before handing him a big project. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Good advice but you're planning a breakdown. Most people, not unreasonably, don't give the guy a waste to fix when their boiler's just packed up - and then wait six months to see if it leaks before giving him a bigger job. And then some more sensible househoulders will take out BG contract, but BG is dissed on here (no, I'm not with them). And is a reference from one non techie houseowner any better than nothing at all? And is a recommendation from a builder any use? And does charging a lot make them a better tradesperson, as you implied? And does a 'pukka' tradeperson really give a toss about supplying references and being given the third degree from a non-techie houseowner lining up 'maybe' future work when he's got stacks of other 'real' work on the go? See the problem? :eek:

Not dissing your advice or being confrontational, just that the word isn't getting out there.

id love some customers to come and see our books with the accountant and realise what it costs just to turn up before we earn anything. :rolleyes:

to answer a few questions in one.

The system has been power flushed but this happened after the boiler broke down just after fitting. Again it was supposed to be done the next day but the plumber disapeared of the face of the earth.

I have tried fernox, sentinal and now giving a no nonse cleaner + inhibitor a try.

And yes the house has been rewired at the same tim ethe boiler was fitted. Can this be a issue?

O and it dont lose pressure.

Sponsored Links
yes but you said £1000 that includes a boiler ha ha

like i said more fool you, alot of heatingengineers charge £1000 to change a boiler with no boiler or fittings.

bg advertise £1700 for a straight swap one for one 24i worcester junior the boiler is about 700 quid.... the rest il leave up to you what they make.. :rolleyes:

Sentinel is as good as you can get. X400 to loosen old sludge and X100 to prevent corrosion. I suggest you disconnect the filling loop to make absolutely sure it is not passing, as the valves can leak. You said you were thinking about fitting a Magnaclean. Do that, then after you think it has caught all the black sludge, add X400 and I bet you will be amazed how much more it traps.

View media item 12015 View media item 12016

Sentinel is as good as you can get. X400 to loosen old sludge and X100 to prevent corrosion. I suggest you disconnect the filling loop to make absolutely sure it is not passing, as the valves can leak. You said you were thinking about fitting a Magnaclean. Do that, then after you think it has caught all the black sludge, add X400 and I bet you will be amazed how much more it traps.

View media item 12015 View media item 12016

Thanks john.

What do you mean by passing the filling loop? As in the filling loop is always filling the system?

I will get this magnaclean installed and see if that solves the problem.

yes, it's possible. The filling loop is used to fill the system, or to add more water if the pressure drops. Sometimes the valves do not close off fully, and it keeps adding fresh water, and this will cause more corrosion (it also washes away the inhibitor, since the excess water will come out of the relief valve)

make sure you get the guarantee with the Magnaclean, as the valves you shut when emptying it sometimes weep round the spindles after prolonged use. I also find it helps to put a little silicone grease on the threads of the cap (your installer should have some) which you unscrew to empty it.

Please come back and tell us how it goes after fitting the Magnaclean. Chances are you will be amazed how much sludge it traps.

i will have a check, i can see this being the issue maybe as the valve fitted to fill is a isolator type valve you find under the sink etc to isolate the taps.

So you have to turn it with a screw driver and it turns both ways so guess work on if its fully closed.

im not sure why the plumber fitted this as the old boiler had a valve with blue knob that would turn on or off.

Guess its another item that the crap plumber should not of used? I dont know why he changed it when there was a working valve there before unless maybe that was leaking?

And yes the house has been rewired at the same tim ethe boiler was fitted. Can this be a issue?

Could do, but you'll need to get an electrician to check all the pipes, including the gas for a low amp current. A clamp meter will tell you.

Could do, but you'll need to get an electrician to check all the pipes, including the gas for a low amp current. A clamp meter will tell you.

Right then, so basically what your saying is that there could be a direct short with the electrics down a pipe maybe and this is the cause?

The sparky are back here after christmas to finish the new work and sign it off so i guess when they test it should show this up. Infact im sure they did a test before they started?

No not a short, a current in the pipes typically 30mamps.

Could be a faulty earth or an appliance.

(not very likely though. most houses are festooned with supplementary bonding and parallel earth paths)

(not very likely though. most houses are festooned with supplementary bonding and parallel earth paths)

There is earthing that goes to every pipe under the boiler that the original sparky installed along with a 10mm earth going back to the CU unit

I would guess that the rcd would of tripped if there was a issue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back