Cleaned out my Spirotech filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a clean boiler system in my house. It's been that way for 10 yrs.

Last year i added 2 new rads onto the system in my extension. When i fitted them i drained down and ran a cleaner for 2 weeks after connecting up. This was run most days and hopefully gave the system a really good clean.

I flushed the system 2 times with water only and then added 2 bottles of inhibitor as it is quite a big system with 13 rads on it plus an UFH loop in the kitchen.

Today i have just given a blast on my filter to flush out any rubbish (i think its been since november when i fitted the rads and did the flush and clean etc).

I am surprised to see the water is pretty black and has lots of magnetite in there.

I have done 3 flushes and the water is now clear again.

So i am thinking the clean i gave it has still been working its magic over these last few months and the magnetite was looser in the pipes and over the last few months has come off and gone into the filter. Does all this sound ok ?

The only thing i didn't do was flush out the UFH loop because i didn't know how to do this. So the water with cleaner in it will still have been in this loop as the floor is lower than my drain off point.

Sponsored Links
I don't think so. How can i tell if this is happening ?

The pressure has maintained at 1.5 bar for 6 months approx.

show us a pic of your filter.

I have an older Spiro and it is not much good at collecting the black particles. I would swap it for a Magnaclean but there isn't room.

Sponsored Links
I have fitted 5 Spirotecs and have never got anything but water out of them when I go to service them.

Mine has Really done a job on this flush it seems, as it trapped a lot of crud.

This must be a sign it has been doing its job.

It’s an older one pre magnet. I will do a pic in a bit

This is the beast

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 480
I don't think so. How can i tell if this is happening ?

The pressure has maintained at 1.5 bar for 6 months approx.
Should be ok then, it would only be if there was not enough head or you had valves in bad places.
You can always test the water if you want to be conclusive, check the ph level is right and also check for dissolved air. There shouldn't be much once it's been up to temperature.

That’s not a pre magnet one the pre magnet one was a dirt separator which caught more than any of their magnet versions do that looks like their first magnet effort (MB1) the magnet is internal and not removable.

Or maybe it's an external magnet version whose magnet (like mine) dropped off by itself in the middle of the night? What a crash that made - I realised what it was only weeks later... the magnet is now tied on with a bit of string. Quality!

Yes i think it has the internal magnet. Seems to be working ok.

I am sure my clean has freed up a lot more rubbish in the system, even though it has been a clean system for the last 10 yrs. Hence i have just removed a lot of rubbish. Over time i expect not to be collecting rubbish again as the filter will be doing its job and removing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back