Double plasterboard reason and mounting screen in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm planning to hang a big projector screen (3m x 3m) - with pole, screen, fixing, I'd estimate 10-15kg - across my garage (for an indoor golf simulator). One one end of the 3m gap I've got plasterboard over breeze block, so I'm fine there. On the other side, the garage ceiling drops down 25cm or so and I'll need to mount into the face of that drop (or have a longer bracket coming off of the breeze block wall to the left).

Where that ceiling drops down, above it is a balcony outside of our living room. I think the drop is because the floor of the balcony is slightly lower than the floor of the living room and any rainwater runs off below it out a drainpipe. The garage door track is hanging from a metal mount that goes up into this 'dropped' area to a wooden stud that is running perpendicular to the garage wall. I haven't chased a cable up that gap to see how high up the mount is vs the ceiling, but perhaps should. Having drilled a test hole from the bottom up into this 'dropped area' there is dense insulation (cavity batt type?) - not sure how high it runs.

I wasn't sure what was behind the plasterboard drop - I assumed a wooden crossbeam but wanted to confirm before I mounted anything. I cut out a square of plasterboard...and behind it is what looks like more plasterboard. Before I just carry on cutting deeper and deeper, I wanted to see if there were any theories or ideas as to what might be at play here based on the info and photos?

With the weight I'm talking about, I might be fine with anchors into the double plasterboard alone, but of course finding a stud somewhere would be better! Am I best to just carry on cutting here to see what I find...? I feel it would be very odd to have this drop without a crossbeam...though this was a Bovis new build in 2016, so not much would surprise me at this point!

Thanks!

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
Ah, that would make sense then. Thanks for that. So I'll keep going and see if I can find a joist to work with somewhere.

I use a strong magnet to find fixing screw. That then will locate joists.
Phone mount magnet will work although I bought some rare earth magnets

Sponsored Links
ooh, nice idea with the phone mount magnet - hadn't thought of that and have one lying around!

Now you have a cut out you can slip a timber in behind and fix with screws from front to give a stronger fixing point .

Now you have a cut out you can slip a timber in behind and fix with screws from front to give a stronger fixing point .
Not sure I follow - you mean cut through the second plasterboard, then if no joist, put a board behind it so a connection to that board would sandwhich the two lots of plasterboard together?

Not sure I follow - you mean cut through the second plasterboard, then if no joist, put a board behind it so a connection to that board would sandwhich the two lots of plasterboard together?
If you get a timber behind both boards you have a strong fixing point to screw into .Any timbers behind will be top and bottom .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back