Wall Cabinet Mounting Rail Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hanging a run of 1500mm units 2 x 600 and 1 x 300 wall units in my utility room. The wall is unfortunately one of those Thermalite walls which separates the house and garage. There's plasterboard to finish with about 10mm gap between the two. I have decided to use a continuous rail to hang the units on and am putting beefy plugs and screws every 3 inches or so. I have calculated the height to ensure they are where the need to be. Unfortunately (again) the part that I am drilling into has ended up on the horizontal run of the mortar. Chances are this is actually going to be stronger than the meringue like blocks - but am I potentially risking other issues such a cracking to the wall? I am limited in dropping the height of the units down as I have plug sockets below so could only drop another 12mm...

Sponsored Links
I would seriously consider removing a section of the plasterboard and fixing a plywood patress directly to the wall with the correct plugs (special ones for lightweight blockwork) and 3 to 4in #10 screws - lots of them into the bricks and not the mortar which is often iffy. The patress can be built-out to the same level as the existing PB with more timber or PB and the rails fixed to that. Often done by better kitchen fitters when they hit this sort of problem and invisible if done properly because the cut out is behind the cabs. When doing this in a customers house it is generally advisable to work only when they lady of the house is absent because it can look really destructive to the unknowledgeable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back