Kitchen Larder Cabinets not Plumb with wall

6 Feb 2014
Reaction score
Newport, South Wales
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies if I am not in the right section, please advise if not.

I am fitting a kitchen and the first problem I have encountered is not unusual but is causing me some grief.

I have quite a few base units some standard height some tall (Larder, integrated Fridge, freezer and cooker). My walls are not plum. Floor is level so plenty of adjustment with the feet. My problem is that at the top of the tall cabinets when level there is a gap of approximately 15mm. This is going to create a knock on effect with the wall cabinets.

I am familiar with scribing and cutting the cabinets to fit but this would mean I would have to do it with every cabinet and there are 12 base units. That’s a lot of cutting. Then there is a problem with aligning the wall cabinets.

I would like to ask how the experts would approach this task?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you are using the adjustable cab hangers that have a sort of hook, consider fitting cabinet hanging rail along the entire wall. It is very strong and easy to level, and you can move your cabs along if you get the whim. Its length means you don't have a problem of fixing screw that want to go into a soft mortar joint or a cable, you can just screw a few inches to the side. You only need to get the rail right, and all the cabs will follow.

If your walls are not plumb you could pack out the rail where necessary and screw through the packers. The hangers screw in and out a bit but I don't know if it's as far as 15mm.


Last edited:
Surely the gaps will only be visible on the end units? As others have suggested, can't you use end panels or do the units at either end have integrated end panels?

The wall units can be packed out at the tops (using the rails recommended by JohnD- they cost a couple of quid from screwfix for a metre ) and you can glue packers to the lower backs of them to prevent tilting.

Additionally, if you are tiling, you can pack the tiles out to hide any gaps that might be visible in the area below the full length cabinets where they butt up to the wall hung units.

Photos might help.
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
DIN rail might be the same, I don't know.

I get it from kitchen fittings merchants, I'd guess it is about 2mm thick. I like a long enough piece to do the whole run, it's sold in 1m, 2mm and 3m pieces


I intended to post a link to the rails that you are talking about rather than a DIN rail- senior moment!

That said I will check to see if they (DINs) are interchangeable.

Like you, I too prefer using one length, especially when working on stud walls or walls where the supplied mini rails don't allow you to get a decent fixing.


This person used DINs

as did this one

BUT.. not all DIN rails are equal
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Good luck Bison

Please let us know how you get on.

Your feedback may help someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links