Double Socket Addition in Attic

Thanks though guys - should it be a fused spur socket then???
Probably not.

What is the rating of the MCB and size of cable for the existing circuit?

Id like a double socket but not sure if there is a fused double switched spur??
As I tried to say earlier -

If the present circuit is wired in a conventional compliant way then just add the new socket.

Sponsored Links
Not if the existing cable is 1mm² with 20A.

I agree that is not likely but that is where the discussion went.

Sponsored Links
I already have a professionally installed double socket in the attic - done when the house was re-did about 9 years ago
Indeed - but, as has been discussed, if it were a dedicated supply for just one double socket, then it could well have been wired in 2.5mm² cable and (although perhaps not expected), as EFLI has been saying, would still be compliant if a 32A (or larger) had been used to protect that. However, the moment one adds a second double socket, the OPD would have to be rated no higher than the CCC of that original (quite probably 2.5mm²) cable.

So, as was said way back, if the initial cable is 2.5mm², then it would only be acceptable to add the second socket if the OPD were rated no higher than the CCC of that initial cable - i.e. (again assuming 2.5mm²) potentially 25A if Method C, otherwise 20A or less.

Kind Regards, John

All right, then, fair enough - so none of John's criticism of what I wrote is justified either.
Hmmm. As I thought we had agreed, I don't think that the fact that the circuit for the double socket was 'installed professionally' precludes the possibility (albeit not very likely) that the circuit's OPD was rated higher than the CCC of the cable, does it? (I thought that was your point)

As you have said (I thought!), so long as there were only one double socket, that would be compliant - but the moment you added a second socket, it wouldn't be.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, don't start again.

I am countering DS who cites as a reason that HE was right that the circuit was installed professionally.

Therefore, the same applies to what I wrote.

It is just as likely or unlikely that it could be 1mm² (maybe realising that Table 52.3 is nonsense) with a 20A OPD, as 2.5mm² with 32A.

I am countering DS who cites as a reason that HE was right that the circuit was installed professionally.
Fair enough, but my ears pricked up when you brought me into your 'counter'.
It is just as likely or unlikely that it could be 1mm² (maybe realising that Table 52.3 is nonsense) with a 20A OPD, as 2.5mm² with 32A.
Surely (even if ignoring Table 52.3) not if it were done compliantly ('professionally installed')?

1mm² cable with 20mA upstream protection and (potentially) 26A downstream protection would surely not be compliant (Method C CCC = 16A)? However, 2.5mm² cable with 32A upstream and 26A (max) downstream protection would be.

Kind Regards, John

The cable size to the original socket appears to be the same

And it goes back to the attic socket - if this helps at all? - the middle one in this image B16 EP61
IMG_20170122_191039_zpstmwt6oea.jpg

DS and John

I don't want to read it all again. I may have said something the wrong way round. Apologies.

However, I still don't think my original comment was unreasonable.

I may have said something the wrong way round. Apologies. However, I still don't think my original comment was unreasonable.
I don't think you said anything wrong, or the 'wrong way around'. I'm pretty sure that I correctly understood (and still do) what you were saying (and intending to say). Nor do I think that your original comment was unreasonable, and hope that I have never suggested that it was (if I did, unintentionally, I, too, apologise).

My (one and) only point was that the fact that the original circuit has been 'installed correctly' (in terms of what was originally being supplied by that circuit) did not mean that it was certain that the circuit, without modification, could support a second double socket. That's all.

Kind Regards, John

The cable size to the original socket appears to be the same. And it goes back to the attic socket - if this helps at all? - the middle one in this image B16 EP61
If the MCB is a B16, and if the cable is 2.5mm² (or, in fact, probably even if it were 1.5mm²), then (despite all the discussion that there's been) there are absolutely no problems with what you plan to do.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back