double socket amps

We both know the internal common filter is rated to 13A.

They don’t feel the need to state this on other sockets.

Also on the 3 gang sockets they fit a 13a fuse. They are clearly worry what people may connect to these ones !

Sponsored Links
I note when mk sell filtered sockets they engraved on the front TOTAL LOAD 13A
CORRECTED
The goalpost has moved .... That is, of course (after your correction) clear - i.e. we know what "13A total" means, but cannot be sure what "13A maximum" (or "13A per socket output") is meant to mean.

Kind Regards, John

Also on the 3 gang sockets they fit a 13a fuse. They are clearly worry what people may connect to these ones !
Who knows what was/is the thinking behind that?! ...

Given what people say/think about double sockets, one imagines that they would have fitted at least 20A fuses (some might even say 26A) to triple sockets, if such a BS1362 fuse existed - it certainly does not seem to make much sense (from the POV of the socket) to limit the total load on a triple, but not a double, socket to 13A.

Having said that, as we know, it takes at least about 22A continuous to blow a 13A BS1362 fuse, so the presence of such a fuse is not doing all that much 'restricting of load'.

They may even have been thinking about the fact that sockets are usually wired (including when spurs) in 2.5mm² cable, and wanted to prevent people potentially overloading such a cable by installing an unfused triple socket.

As I said, who knows?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I did wonder that. But I think they are worried about there own socket.
As I said, "who knows?" !

As far as "their socket" is concerned, as I said, maybe the situation is a bit confused by the non-availability of BS1362 fuses >13A. As things are, it would seem to make little sense to attempt to 'limit' the total load on a triple socket to 13A without also doing the same thing for double sockets - particularly given that triple ones are larger/heavier, hence more able to dissipate and disperse heat (hence a lower temp for given currents).

Kind Regards, John

Would anyone require 6 kW of power in a small area ?
I've seen multiple fan heaters on many occasions - and reported overloaded sockets/extensions a number of times. The latest being at the local health centre where they had two rented industrial cubes running off one extension when the heating was broken - it was corrected next time I was there.
As far as "their socket" is concerned, as I said, maybe the situation is a bit confused by the non-availability of BS1362 fuses >13A. As things are, it would seem to make little sense to attempt to 'limit' the total load on a triple socket to 13A without also doing the same thing for double sockets - ...
There is a detail that the BS doesn't (I assume) have a test forvtriple sockets. Therefore one way to deal with that would be to treat it as a multi-way adapter that's hard wired rather than plug in.

I've seen multiple fan heaters on many occasions ...
Is it not uncommon for standard fan heaters to be more than 2kW (two of which would be well under 20A)?
There is a detail that the BS doesn't (I assume) have a test forvtriple sockets. Therefore one way to deal with that would be to treat it as a multi-way adapter that's hard wired rather than plug in.
Interesting suggestion. However, triple sockets (certainly MK ones) appear to claim to be "to BS1363-2" (just as single and double ones), so I can but presume that the Standard does include some 'requirements' in relation to them. Unfortunately, I only seem to have BS1363-1 (plugs), not BS1363-2 (sockets) - does anyone have, or have access to, it?

Kind Regards, John

does anyone have, or have access to, it?

On page 1, the "Table 5" I posted had the bottom cut off by me, I didn't want to confuse the OP, but...

upload_2019-6-18_22-5-30.png

"In the case of socket-outlets having more than one outlet, the disposition of the plugs shall be so arranged
as to give the most onerous test conditions with regard to the position of terminals and fuses.
In the case of fused socket-outlets in which the number of outlets is greater than two, the test is then
repeated, the total test current being divided equally between each of the test plugs, one inserted into each
set of socket contacts in the socket-outlet."

On page 1, the "Table 5" I posted had the bottom cut off by me, I didn't want to confuse the OP, but...
Thanks.

That Table rather begs the question as to whether any of the mentioned unfused BS1363-compliant sockets with ≥3 outlets (for which the temp rise test is done at 2 x 14A = 28A) actual exist? I've certainly never seen or heard of them, but it looks as if BS1363-compliant ones would be possible.

Kind Regards, John

I stumbled upon this odd product earlier, it's a quad socket, unfused...
http://www.rpp.uk.com/index.php/m2413ss
Click on the datasheet, it says "Current: 13Amps", do they mean in total?!
Indeed - the usual question!!

However, it also claims compliance with BS1363-2(1995), which we now know requires it to pass a temperature-rise test with 28A total (14A x 2) - so it would be a bit daft if they 'rated' it at "13A total".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back