Double socket with one way and two way switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a double socket in my hall. One switch controls an outside light and the other controls the hall light and is a 2 way switch.
Can you buy a double switch that has one as a two way and one as a one way? For the outside light, should it be different from an ordinary one way? (I.e. When I switch it, the light should stay on). It currently just switches it on and then goes off after the timer runs out ( it's a security light with a sensor on it) and if I want to turn it on again I have to switch it off and on again.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly this is a double socket
socket.jpg

Can you buy a double switch that has one as a two way and one as a one way?
No. but if you only use one of the terminals then it is a one-way switch.
For the outside light, should it be different from an ordinary one way? (I.e. When I switch it, the light should stay on).
No, but...
It currently just switches it on and then goes off after the timer runs out ( it's a security light with a sensor on it) and if I want to turn it on again I have to switch it off and on again.
That's how they work.

Presumably by 'sensor' you mean a movement sensor or PIR.

To overide the PIR you would need a second switch-wire going to the light which could be used as direct feed to the light and by-passing the PIR.

Sponsored Links
It currently just switches it on and then goes off after the timer runs out ( it's a security light with a sensor on it) and if I want to turn it on again I have to switch it off and on again.
That's how they work.

I may have misunderstood.

There is usually a way to make it stay on permanently.

Try switching it off and on quickly twice.

Then to put it back to automatic sensor mode you turn it off - wait a couple of minutes - turn it on and it will stay on for the time set and then go off.

Usually only wait (off) for just over ten seconds to put it back on automatic.

But then again, some don't have that function.

Off and on quickly can with some fittings 'latch' it on.

Thanks to all the replies. Apologies for the typo - I meant switch not socket!
I'll try the suggestions for operating the outside light and see how I get on.

I think your question has been answered but you can buy grid switches where you can mix and match the switches. It would not be unusual to use double pole switches for outside and single pole for inside to do this you need a grid switch.

Please don't get double pole and two way mixed up. The idea of double pole is to isolated both live supplies line and neutral so if you get water in the outside fitting switching it off will stop it tripping the RCD. If your lights don't have RCD protection then no real need to use double pole switching.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back