Wiring a double 2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Our outside light (PIR and dusk activated) has started staying on all the time, even when the switch (inside the house) is turned off.

That switch is in the hall - it's a double, with the right hand switch controlling the outside light, left hand switch controls the hall light.
There's another switch for the hall light at the other end of the hall - so those switches are 2 way.
(If it's relevant - there are actually two pendant lights in the hall, both controlled together)

I've turned off all lights at the fusebox, checked there's no current, and unscrewed the wall switch.

It looks to me like a wire has become disconnected from the right-hand (outside light) switch - but I don't know if it should be in the L2 or L3 connection. You can see the wire at the bottom of this pic:

IMG_20150912_173640314.jpg

Here's a look at the wiring coming into the socket if it helps:

IMG_20150912_173645663.jpg

All advice much appreciated!
Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
The wire is probably L2, if the switch operates upside down (as in up is on), then move the wire to L3.

However the light staying on is unrelated, the hall switch is presumably an override to turn it on all the time, or have the light in 'auto' mode when the switch is off.
The light is on all the time because the PIR sensor inside has failed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot everyone. Sounds like I need a new light then.

Although I'm confused (sorry, complete novice here) - if the switch is off, how can current get to the light?

I've found the instructions and it actually says "Do not wire this light into the lighting circuit, use a switched fused spur". So does that mean it was never wired in correctly (not by me - an electrician)? Is it usual/acceptable to have an outside light using a double switch shared with an inside one?

The light is a Microscan 240 MK5 PIR Wall Light (mm19178) - very similar to this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taranto-Wall-Lantern-Microscan-240/dp/B000FTTRR8 but slightly different design.

When u have sorted the wire see if it works correctly.

Sometime you can over ride the light of someone has fiddled with the switch or if the wire was loose ( which it was)

Is it usual/acceptable to have an outside light using a double switch shared with an inside one?
Yes, a very common arrangement.

Lights can be put on a fused spur, but generally only done because it's easier when fitting a new light to an existing installation.

Although I'm confused (sorry, complete novice here) - if the switch is off, how can current get to the light?
There is a 3 core and earth cable to the light.
Grey (with blue sleeve) is the neutral.
Brown is permanent line, and is one of the brown wires into the top terminal of the switch.
Black with brown sleeve is used to override the PIR sensor so the light is on permanently (this is the loose wire).

To echo what has been said, the wire needs to go in L2. (It's a Crabtree, know all about them!)

However, on closer inspection, it seems at least one of the screws that holds the back of the switch to the front of the switch has become loose, as it's sticking out. A little coss-head screw.

Would be wise to tighten that and any others up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back