Double sockets how far apart ?

It doesn't matter which room they're in, but that many sockets shouldn't be on a spur unless it is fused, when you can have as many as you like but you can't draw more than 13A total.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I just put about 5cm between them and it looks fine. Although I didn't dare go for more then 2 in a row, I put the other two round the corner on the perpendicular wall. Now we have about 12 doubles in the lounge if I remember right.

I use a single gang box as a spacer when marking out.

A practical point is that if the socket boxes are so close together then the cable between them might just be in singles / t&E cores when it should be sheathed.

I use a single gang box as a spacer when marking out.

A practical point is that if the socket boxes are so close together then the cable between them might just be in singles / t&E cores when it should be sheathed.
You do them more than 70mm apart? Seems a bit far.

I've got one of those socket templates, mostly gets used for studwork but helpfully has a 50mm measure on it too so saves me loads of time....if only they had two bubbles though

It doesn't matter which room they're in, but that many sockets shouldn't be on a spur unless it is fused ...
Or it's on a radial. Everyone has assumed (probably correctly) that it's an RFC on a 32A MCB (or 30A fuse) and wired in 2.5mm² T&E.

On the topic of spacing, tricky one. IMO touching isn't too bad if they are "square" fittings. Very worst is having a small gap so it's not possible to decorate between them - at least with the "paint everything to the wall" method most people use.

I use these. Makes it look nice and regular when there are a few multiple doubles in the same area (not to mention fused spurs, singles etc.). They're good for getting everything level too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back