Double Soundbloc Drywall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,Good Moaning
I have done a metal stud wall 75mm with 50mm slab insulation and screwed a single layer of 15mm Soundbloc board. (wall is approx. 4m X 3m)

What I need to do now is add another layer of 15mm soundbloc ..

Is it best to just use longer screws to go right through both boards into the metal studs? and I was thinking of maybe using the white foam laminate flooring underlay 5mm in between the boards OR Duralay System 10 Carpet Underlay sandwiched in between to stop any vibrations... what could I use to bond these together?

I know there is green glue and acousticel m20 and similar but they are bit pricey...

Sponsored Links
There are numerous things you could do including resilient bars, various membranes etc. but at this point things like door openings and sound coming under, over or around the wall are likely to be more significant.

I've never seen anyone try to use carpet underlay in a wall for soundproofing. That doesn't automatically mean it's a bad idea, but normally people are just trying to increase mass.

What about sticking automotive sound deadening to the backs of the boards between the timbers?

what tends to transmit noise is physical contact

when building soundproof walls I have floated them on 1" thick neoprene to isolate them from the floor, and kept the surfaces from each other. `if you can't have a gap, then dense material is your friend.

not sure what the floor underlay would actually do.

Sponsored Links
Yes thanks.. The resilient bars is a good idea then screw 2nd board to them, I could add some more 50mm insulation in there also :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back