Double to single socket problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm :rolleyes:

I've been asked by a family member to replace some flush single sockets (damaged, stained) with doubles. It's a rented bungalow that they're tidying up. I've opened up the sockets to find the backboxes are 15mm deep, cables are pretty short and no movement of t&e to pull through from the attic.

So... in short... the cables are too short to fit to the terminals of the new doubles she's provided. As some cables come loop in at the top of the b/box and loop out at the bottom the problem worsens when the terminals of the sockets are offset from the centre.

Give us a clue please guys... can I crimp solid core cables to extend them? :confused:

Thanks in advance - MM

Sponsored Links
cut out the walls to fit double metal back-boxes. If the wires are long enough to reach a single socket they should be long enough to reach a double.

Mortar in the new back boxes, using at least one screw to prevent them pulling out. You can pack the mortar round them to hold them firm, then (if you have been neat cutting the holes) a thin border of plaster or filer round the edge to redecorate to, flush with the old wall.

If you still need to extend the cables, use 2.5mm cores. You will have to buy a Ratchet Crimper (not a lightweight one as used for car electrics) and insulated through-crimps. the crimps are available in small packs at DIY sheds, but the crimper needs to be a good brand from a tool supplier. Cheap ones (esp. Silverline) are available but they flex and bend under pressure. I use a CK. It will be about £25. You might be able to hire one. The supplier may throw in a starter pack of insulated crimps. If you can get the ones with heat-shrink sheathing attached they are probably better.

If you are using metal back-boxes you shouldn't need to crimp the earth wire, just sleeve the supply ones and put then into the earth terminal of the box, then run a 150mm length sheathed in G&Y to the socket face terminal.

As he said, check with the landlord, before doing any sort of electrical works on a rented property - you could violate your tenancy conditions, and create danger if work is wrongly done.

Sponsored Links
soldering on tails of suitablly sized flex (yes you can get 2.5mm flex) and then heatshrinking over the joint would be my preffered way of extending cables in a backbox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back