Double whammy-rusted and broken screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B31748C6-9CC2-49B9-BBFE-9334A6EB530A.jpeg
A63D8634-C9FB-4BB0-9948-BF8039515215.jpeg
46AEA257-6244-42B6-A9DD-095EABB79E85.jpeg
Hi

See image. Tried for two days to remove these screws supporting old garden tap.(leaking and need to replace) Tried mole grips, screw extractors pliers etc. Problem is confined space as much as condition of screws. V frustrating as were just bog standard. Any advice much appreciated.

(One underneath buggered as tried to twist with pliers)
Ta

Sponsored Links
Shear the heads off with a hammer and chisel. Screws wont be any good in any event. Remount the tap else where.

Thanks. Is there any other way which would allow me to keep same tap position?

Do as I suggested then try and back out what's left of the screw with mole grips. Replace screws with stainless. I'd spray plenty of WD40 on it a few hours before hand tho.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you could lever the whole thing off with a crowbar and it'll pull the screws and plugs out too. Depends on how well it was fitted in the first place I guess.

That'll either go well, or the heads will snap off and you'll be back to what Sammy has suggested anyway!

Cheers again. Sorry to be thick, but do you mean apply WD40 prior to attempted removal if screw bodies with mole grips?

Ok. Many thanks again. Will have a bash tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

If you have, or can borrow, a soldering iron, heating the screws can help loosen them. Did it on an old door and it worked a treat

'Shock and Unlock' spray from Halfords is often sufficient to free siezed nuts and screws.
But as said by others, quicker just to lever it off - you may well pull out the old fixings (Rawl?) and be able to re-use the same holes.

If it doesn't come off it may just be the seals that need replacing and not the tap from the looks of it.

Seems to be leaking from the top nut where there is ptfe tape underneath. May be just a o ring replace but now you are half way there you may as well fit a new one

5F051929-B80F-48B5-B0CE-565B9E1C2F40.jpeg
92A31D2F-FCF2-4A35-A132-C0A335DFC524.jpeg
Hi All

Checked olive, but seemed fine. Finally sheared screw ends of with chisel. Unfortunately, one would play ball and is now flush with surface. (Photo) Guess I’ll have to give up on that, short of damaging brickwork?

Cheers

you are now in the right frame of mind to lay in a small stock of Stainless Steel screws for garden and outdoor work.

Screwfix and Aldi (no doubt others) often have assorted sets at modest price. When you find the size you use most, you can get a bigger pack.

They are usually poor-quality Chinese steel, so don't use them (for example) on the brakes of your car.

Only other thing you could try is a pair of needle nose pliers and try backing it out that way but at this point it'd start with fresh holes and just move the tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back