Doubting my installer

D

dextrous

Are halfway through first fix for my new kitchen.

They are installing 6mm cable to power a dual oven (4.8kw max) and a ceramic hob (6.7kw max) in the following formation.

Now, although I've heard of diversity, will 6mm really be enough? Or would you suggest at least a 10mm run from the CU to the isolator.

The boys who are putting it in are partially trained and quite experienced, and they get an niceic part P colleague of theirs who does some work for them now to test it and sign it off.

Please don't tell me off (BAS!), it's just that I was under the impression that 6mm would take a max load of 9.5kW, and that if all appliances went on, there would be 11.5kW drawn.

Sponsored Links
You are first fixing and have the option to install two circuits with little effort. It would be foolish not to.

If the circuit was already installed and increasing it's size, or adding an additional circuit was not feasable, you could check the diversity guidelines to see if the single circuit would suit.

In this instance, as they are installing from scratch, I would prefer to see two circuits IMO.

the use of 2 JB's is a dead give away that they are cowboys.. also that they are doing it illegaly by getting a part p sparky to lie about having done the installation

I'd tell them that you are not happy and that they have to put it in properly at their expense.. ( they quoted for it )

Hmmm.

I don't like the sound of those joint boxes either.

They should only be used as a last resort.

I would personally want to see two new circuits from the CU, and if possible use steel conduit or similar to keep them off RCD.

Sponsored Links
If you are 1st fixing a cable and you cut it at the wrong length, you replace it. Joints were not in the design, so they shouldn't be there.
Proper electricians will try everything they can before having to commit to install a joint box.

2 circuits would be preferred IMO

I think I've got the picture. Thanks

Just make sure the get it as well!

By the way, are the JB's accessible for inspection at a later date, (i.e. not buried under floorboards or hidden behind a cupboard/base unit?)

I think I've got the picture. Thanks

Just make sure the get it as well!

By the way, are the JB's accessible for inspection at a later date, (i.e. not buried under floorboards or hidden behind a cupboard/base unit?)

There will now be no junction boxes ;)

the use of 2 JB's is a dead give away that they are cowboys.. also that they are doing it illegaly by getting a part p sparky to lie about having done the installation

I'd tell them that you are not happy and that they have to put it in properly at their expense.. ( they quoted for it )

He said "Part P Colleague". That may mean that they all work for the same company and that is it the COMPANY that is part-P registered. Individuals cannot be so registered, it's the business that is the member of the scheme and it only has to have one qualified supervisor. The actual work can be done by any employee of the company so long as it is "supervised". So there may be no legal issue here.

Also it's going to be a struggle to get 2 x 6mm conductors in the load side of the 45A switch, as presumably this isolates both the oven and the hob??

I'd have run 2 circuits.

Can they not crimp the joins?

SB

Also the oven is connected directly to the circuit - what do the installation instructions say about the rating of the protective device?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back