cooker install , electric hob and oven advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

I am installing a built in oven and seperate hob...The hob rating is 4.2kw max and the oven is 7.2kw max . which brings me to 11.4kw ..

I have a cooker control unit with red switch and a control unit at back of my old cooker ..

Now at my consumer unit the cooker i have now is protected with a 32amp fuse as the cooker is on it's own circuit.

Now at 240v and 11.4kw that would be 47.5 amps if my calculating is correct lol .

Would i be able to install the above hob and cooker at the one connection box .

I was thinking that using diversity it would work out at 26.25 amps as i am including 5 amps for the socket with the ccu using 6mm twin and earth.

The appliance is near the control outlet so is in the 2m zone specified.

Now i won't be using the cooker and hob at full potential so would this be ok to use this way ??

Also if this is ok can i use a 6mm cable from control unit to oven and another 6mm cable from same control unit to hob or would i be able to add one of these even though it says 45amp

http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/1022/click-45a-easyfit-dual-appliance-outlet-plate

I know i could get someone in to upgrade my fuse at the consumer unit say to 45a, but as long as i am not using all the ovens and hob at the same time then would this work as mentioned above ??

Thanks inadvance ..I thought i would check here with you guys before anything is fitted.

Sponsored Links
Yes to all - It will be fine.

You could use 4mm² cable to connect oven and hob (separate cable to each, of course) if you want.

When you say "even though it says 45A" I presume you mean the cooker switch. That doesn't matter. It just means the switch can handle 45A.

Yes to all - It will be fine.

You could use 4mm² cable to connect oven and hob (separate cable to each, of course) if you want.

When you say "even though it says 45A" I presume you mean the cooker switch. That doesn't matter. It just means the switch can handle 45A.

Thanks for the quick response .. yes i mean the cooker switch . Is it ok for me to swap the outlet plate that i have for the daul outlet plate instead to accomadate the hob and oven ,only i am not a sparky ( what i am really saying is there any laws stating i cannot change the plate ) .

Thanks once again.

The law is called Part P there is many an argument as to what this covers and I do not want to start that debate.

So looking at it simply if you want to dot the i's and cross the t's then you need to call an electrician who is a member of a scheme. To DIY with LABC charges is not really an option.

If however you are not worried about the Labour party laws then what you say is likely OK. It will not strictly speaking comply with the regulations as there will be no RCD protection but there will be no real problems in what you propose.

Of course we can't condone you breaking laws and regulations and we should say no you can't do this. So you have to decide if the risks are worth it?

You should do a insulation test using at least 500v and a continuity test using at least 200ma and a loop impedance test or calculation. To do these means hiring equipment at approx £75 per week or buy at £750.

I am sure you don't expect anyone to say this is not required. So if you skip the tests you must accept if something goes wrong you will have to answer for your actions.

But likely any electrician will do exaclty what you propose the only difference he will test and issue a minor works certificate. And if required a completion certificate.

It has to be up to you. We can't tell you what to do.

Sponsored Links
Ericmark — He's connecting it to an existing circuit!!!
I have a cooker control unit with red switch and a control unit at back of my old cooker ..

Now at my consumer unit the cooker i have now is protected with a 32amp fuse as the cooker is on it's own circuit.
Official government advice (published in Approved Document P) is that you don't need to notify the fitting and replacement of cookers unless a new circuit is needed. The OP is connecting to an existing circuit, so does not need to notify.

Also, presumably the existing circuit was tested when it was originally installed, so does not need to be tested again before connecting anything — any more than a socket outlet needs to be tested before plugging something into it.

Thanks stoday,

I thought it should be fine but wanted to make sure as i am using the exsisting ciruit and not changing anything apart from connecting the hob and cooker to the same outlet via two 6mm twin and earth cables .

Would you say the dual outlet plate is a better option than trying to get the two cables in my exsisting outlet ?

Thanks ,much appreciated.

Would you say the dual outlet plate is a better option than trying to get the two cables in my exsisting outlet ?
Ideally - but if you can fit the two in one and cable clamp is satisfactory then ok - less likely with 2 x 6mm² than 4.

... Labour party laws ...

this is a legacy from the Labour government called Part P.
Although the consultation document may have been issued in 2002, it contained the results of the Regulatory Impact Analysis (performed by Civil Servants, not politicians) which must have taken a while, and the first edition of Approved Document P (ditto).

The whole process which led to the consultation document being issued kicked off in response to the Construction Industry Deregulation Task Force’s 1995 report which recommended amongst other things that the Building Regulations should address electrical safety and that the administrative burden on builders should be rationalised. The Government at the time responded to these recommendations by agreeing to review the case for new requirements and how they might best be practically introduced.

Blair/Brown/Prescott were nothing to do with the Government in 1995 (some bloke called Major was in charge), and between 1997 & 2002 there were a few other distractions, like handing back Hong Kong, wars in Kosovo & Afghanistan and the run-up to the 2nd Gulf one, Scottish & Welsh Devolution, House of Lords reform, Foot & Mouth crisis etc. When a report produced after years of work by civil servants and industry experts telling them that painstaking and diligent research showed that this proposed legislation, supported by hundreds of relevant and expert bodies, would save lives arrived it was not unreasonable for them to say "OK, we'll lay it before Parliament", rather than starting all over again to verify the work already done. That's how governments work and that's what would have happened whoever had been in power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back