Induction hob and Double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an electrician coming tomorrow to give me a quotation for doing some wiring in my kitchen new sockets etc, plus also wiring in my new hob and separate double oven which i think will need a new cable running for, and i would just like some ideas on whether what i am going to request on the quote for makes sense.

At present i have a stand alone cooker wired to the consumer unit with 6mm wiring, and a 40 amp MCB.

the Induction hob has a rating of 7.2Kw, so would draw at max power 32Amps or thereabouts.

The Double oven has a rating of 4.8Kw, so would draw at max power in the region of 21 Amps...

so total load around 53 amps..

I know you can do a diversity calculation etc, which i think would give me a figure of 30amps, but am led to believe that the induction hobs is not part of that.

Anyways.. i want to know if it makes sense to get him to quote for installing a new 10mm cable, with a 40amp MCB for the Hob, and then reutilise the existing 6mm cable, with a 32amp MCB for the ovens

Or is this total overkill ie would my existing 6mm be sufficient? or am i better safe than sorry..

Thanks

ladeda

Sponsored Links
Diversity -
53 -10 = 43 x 30% = 12.9 + 10 = 22.9A

So your existing circuit is fine.

However you will need 6mm² cable to connect the oven or
4mm² cable and get the electrician to replace the 40A mcb with a 32A.

The electrician will make the calculations for you. He will be able to determine what derating factors may need to be taken into account, such as insulation, trunking etc and the size of the cable, MCB and if it needs RCD protection.

Add 5Amp to the diversity calculation if you cooker switch has a socket incorporated.

Sponsored Links
Before having my own induction hob I was rather worried about overload when although only two rings could be used on boost together that is still 6.7kW on two rings.

However once I started to use one I realised boost is very seldom used. Other than plain water boiling it ready to add food using boost just burns stuff on the bottom of the pan. Even to boil water 1.7 litres takes just 6 minutes which is really not long enough to over heat a cable or trip a MCB.

What we seem to forget is most of the energy in the old cookers went into heating the hob and surroundings with only around 1/2 the power getting into the food. The normal control is only 40% of full power so even with 4 heat areas on normal max only around 6kW and with auto boil and simmer features it is rare to boil for too long.

So as long as the MCB used matches the cable then even with just a 32A supply unlikely to be a problem.

The only problem I have had was my mothers induction hob had silly touch controls which look good but are useless in use. Whole point of the induction hob is rapid response so just like gas there is no need to remove pan from heat you only need to turn off the supply. But the multi press requirement of touch controls mean they are too slow to operate. Knobs are far quicker and easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back