Doughnut Washer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced the siphon this afternoon in my close coupled wc.
i was trying to be careful as not to damage the doughnut washer when doing this as i know if they tear then they will leak on replacement! but there was a tear in it after all of that and so i bought a new doughnut washer. but it doesn't seem to fit my system-i thought they were standard sizes. the shop only had 1 type of dougnut in store, so what can i do as i have no flush tonight and want it sorted by tomorrow!!

Sponsored Links
is the new one rubber or foam, is it too big or too small. , is it possible to cut the new one to size?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link, i will study it!!

also though i am not exactly sure what part i should order anyway-what about this plumbers mait putty ... would that help seal the tear in the old dougnut?

mabe for a short time fix , you know to stop it leaking, but fix it asap with a washer.

if it is a close couple cistern a good tip is when tigntening the cistern up lean your weight on the cistern whist tightening the wing nuts, this will ensure a nice tight connection.

i have used polumbers mait to seal a leaky doughnut waster before, but it was desperation stuff, and i dont think is good practice.

if i take the old torn doughnut washer to a local plumbers merchant shop (not b & q or wickes)!! would they have a similar replacement for sale?

thanks for the tip, i will try that - do you mean put weight straight down on top of the cistern or from the side?

What make toilet is it ?

I've had a nightmare with a Shires recently and they provided me with a donut I've not come across before (large and flat on both sides)

the shop only had 1 type of dougnut in store, so what can i do as i have no flush tonight and want it sorted by tomorrow!!
You'll have to trawl the merchants and hope to find the right one.

If you post a picture I should be able to post you a washer of the right type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back