Need to replace toilet doughnut washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to replace the siphon in my toilet. Because of that I had to remove the tank from the bowl and hence the doughnut washer between them. I've been told from a few videos and guides that I need to replace the doughnut between the tank and bowl.

In most of the guides, the washer is rubber and the toilets were quite old. However my washer is foam and my toilet is only a few years old. Do I still need to replace it?

Also if it does need replacement, can I use a rubber washer instead of a foam one? (Not many shops seem to sell the foam kind.)

Sponsored Links
Better to use the foam rather than rubber as that's what was already fitted. The foam will compress down whereas the rubber one may make the cistern sit high and therefore may make the pipework difficult to line up / fixings for the cistern may not line up.

Decent plumbers merchant will have foam doughnuts in stock

As above and take your old one with you as there are different sizes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Turns out I did need a new one, which I got from a plumbers merchant. Compared to the old one, the new foam washer was twice the thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back