down lights twist + lock or spring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got the builders in and we are going to get down lights in our rooms. I've seen the twist + lock and the spring clip version that holds the bulb on the web. Not seen physically.

But I'm thinking the spring click will be more trouble than its worth if the bulbs fail. But on the other hand the twist + lock has those forks protruding so not sure how or if you'll see those above?

one last question; seems there are so many online retailer options - builders depot, screwfix and so on, any particular brands to go for over others or are they all about the same.

They must be dimmable and fire rated which appears to be standard anyway. I was also thinking of a tilt as a just in case as you can set those straight anyway. Any comments welcome. Cheers.

Does this mean i don't need to buy a hood?

• Product is IC (insulation contact) rated so it can be directly covered with insulation and still conform to BS7671
http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/knigh...w-ic-fire-rated-downlight-white-vfrdgicw.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Knightsbridge is a fairly established brand so you shouldn't have any issues with them. If you like the look of those then go for it. If you're having an electrician do the work they may have their own brand they like to fit. When we fit retrofit downlights (as opposed to integrated LED models) we fit Robus. Not because they're better than anything else, but because all the wholesalers local to us stock them and we're used to them.

Don't get spring clip fittings, some LED lamps protrude in such a way that they don't always go in nicely. Plus twistlock just looks better.

You will still need a hood if you want to cover them with insulation, if there is no insulation, you don't need to worry.

Any comments welcome.
I have one:

Don't do it.

Do not go down the bonkers route of installing lights which are deliberately designed to not do the job you (presumably) want them to do, which is to light up the rooms. When I say "deliberately designed to not do" I mean precisely that. It's not a vague way of saying "they are not designed to light up rooms", they are actually designed, on purpose, to specifically not do that.

If you think about how many lights you're planning to have, you might realise that you already know that they are carp at illuminating rooms.

Oh - and BS 7671 is not a standard which applies to lights - you should wonder if a maker who says it does has a clue about what he is doing.

Sponsored Links
Product is IC (insulation contact) rated so it can be directly covered with insulation and still conform to BS7671

Oh - and BS 7671 is not a standard which applies to lights - you should wonder if a maker who says it does has a clue about what he is doing.

Perhaps "comply" would have been a better word.

But I can't see an issue with it.

So why don't they even know which standards are applicable to the products they make?

The wording in question was to reassure the installer (often the householder) that these downlights could be installed and covered with insulation without requiring any further effort or materials to complete the installation.

Last edited:
So why don't they even know which standards are applicable to the products they make?
Your basing that judgement of Knightsbridge on the blurb on builderdepot! The knightsbridge page for that fitting state
NOTE: All of our fire-rated products are compliant with RoHS, WEEE and Part B Building Regulations. They meet BS476 Part 21, 1987 Standard and have also been approved by Warringtonfire Global Safety, Part E Acoustics and BS476 Part 23

So really, the question should be, "why don't builderdepot know the standards applicable to the items they sell?"

The wording in question was to reassure the installer (often the householder) that these downlights could be installed and covered with insulation without requiring any further effort or materials to complete the installation.
Nothing to do with BS 7671.

Ah. :oops:

Indeed.

Maybe the advice should be "Don't buy from them".
Haha well I suppose it depends on the price!

But the website name kinda gives you a clue as to how accurate their information is likely to be on electrical items! I'm sure if you went at looked at an acrow the description would be spot on.

So 7671 has no guidelines on the interface between electrical equipment and insulation?

If it does then it would be possible to install any light, no matter what its tolerance of thermal insulation, in a way which complies with it.

Does anybody know if "IC rated" has any official meaning? Any tests required?

I believe that some less-than-scrupulous makers are claiming "IC rated" for halogen lights in the full knowledge, and zero care, of the fact that they and the lamps will have a significantly shortened life if covered with insulation.

too late as the holes have already been drilled! I must admit i did think that after the fact. But we are where we are now.

Just to ensure before the plasterer comes round for a 4.4m*3.2m room we installed 6 lights? - Is this going to be enough.
Say we go for a dimmable maximum output of 5w 380 warm white? Something like wickes ?

I called up the distributors and I asked them about the hood - and they said a hood wasn't necessary but they wouldn't 'pack it' in.

I am a fan of Builders deport I've found them to be better + cheaper than wickes/b&q.

too late as the holes have already been drilled! I must admit i did think that after the fact. But we are where we are now.
You sound like a gutless politician, terrified to change her mind for fear of how her "humiliating climbdown" will be portrayed in the news media aimed at the hard-of-thinking.

If changing your mind is the right thing to do, do it.

to much money, time and sweat went into organising the down lights. The cables are all dangling. No turning back at this juncture i'm afraid.

We'll see how it pans out.... at worst i'll have to buy multiple up lights or lamps! I think i'm pretty gutsy though :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back