Downflow heater in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a 2kw Downflow heater into my bathroom. I want to run it from the existing light fitting, the question is do I need a fuse box on the run (if so what rating) + i presume I need to trunk it out?

Sponsored Links
You can't run a 2kw heater from a 5A/6A lighting circuit. It will need to be run from a ring main or an adequately sized radial. Please note this work is notifiable under part p of the building regs.

Is it not a space heater therefore requiring its own circuit?

I've just put the heater in this morning, seems to be working ok from the existing lighting circuit........when u switch on the bathroom light the heater comes on + is working fine :eek: :eek: I've used a 'Glen Dimplex GDF20 Wall Mounted Bathroom Fan Heater' (from Argos)

How come it's working Spark123? And I know it comes under Part P, but i'm not gona bother for such a small job. I'll get a sparky in if i have to BUT it seems to be working fine.

Can i leave it as is + if so would i need a fuse box?

Sponsored Links
Disconnect Immediately if it is run off a normal lighting circuit.
The idea of Part P was to stop such as this.
Dangerous

ok disconnected + i'll get a sparky in asap. ;)

in terms of Part P, what would that mean for something like installing a downflow in a bathroom :?: does it offer guidlines or do u have to get it inspected :?:

peca27 said:
ok disconnected + i'll get a sparky in asap. ;)

in terms of Part P, what would that mean for something like installing a downflow in a bathroom :?: does it offer guidlines or do u have to get it inspected :?:

If you get a properly qualified electrician who is a member of an approved scheme (and if he is, he will proudly say so on his adverts, van and business cards) then he is permitted to test and issue the certificate himself.

If he is a jobbing handyman who also mends fences, reglazes windows and lays carpets, then he is not authorised to do it, and cannot be relied on to do a proper job. Bathrooms are bad places for amateur wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back