Downlight Clarification please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am hoping someone can just clarify something for me as regard to the wiring of downlights.. As our builder has explained how he thinks it should be done, but I really want a 2nd point of view

Currently in our living room we have a single centre light on the ceiling. We are wanting to exchange this for 5 downlights. He has suggested that he can take the supply from the ceiling rose that currently feeds down to the light and take it to downlight 1 and and then link from 1 to 2 , 2 to 3 and so on...

Does this seem plausable to you guys here? I always expected it to be somewhat more complicated..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That is the correct way to wire them - though he will need to ensure they are wired in parallel or you could wire them in star formation from the ceiling rose which would be replaced by a junction box.
Though you may want to reconsider - they look nice in theory but if you have a living space above you will need to consider the building regulations regarding fire barriers. Read this.
http://www.esc.org.uk/industry/product-safety/product-testing-screening/downlighters/
They are also not very efficient at providing light to the living room. You will have to have nearly five times as much power 5 *50w to replace a standard 60w centrally placed bulb.

Thanks for your reply...

So that I know what to tell him, by a junction box, you mean a 1 in 5 out (in this case) box... Are they ready made? Where can I get one from, as we've already fallen out on his pricing of supplying materials.

Regarding the lighting output, They are merely a feature i guess, as we are complementing them with floor lamps...

About fire regs... I had read something but understood I can either get fire standard (or something like that) lights or fire proof coverings..?? Is this right?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply...

So that I know what to tell him, by a junction box, you mean a 1 in 5 out (in this case) box... Are they ready made? Where can I get one from, as we've already fallen out on his pricing of supplying materials.
There are several ways to wire these and the electrician is the best person to sort out the most appropriate way.
A lot will depend on what is attached to the current ceiling rose.
If I was doing the job, unseen, I would use one of these for each of the downlighters.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html

About fire regs... I had read something but understood I can either get fire standard (or something like that) lights or fire proof coverings..?? Is this right?
You can get downlights that meet the building criteria so that in the case of a fire in the living room the downlights are fitted with an intumescent seal which expands and seals the ceiling preventing smoke from rising to the room above.

Hmmmm.. With that, and the sacking of my builder moments ago with his.."ahh dont worry about it.. I'll do it and I'll get me mate to pass it" I think I shall reconsider....

My concern was heightened when I mentioned the junction box and it needing to be accessable, he told me that was only in public places, and houses are a lot less stringent....SACKED..

That now said... do any of you guys have suggestions for something a little different by way of living room ceiling lighting? The ceiling is coming down and being re-boarded by me, so with the wiring already there the world is my oyster.. Any suggestions..?

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back