Downlight, fire hood or guard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above, I can get both for roughly a tenner a pop....as per my previous thread, im fitting downlifghts in the bedroom with insulation above.... I can get 3 guards from screwfix for £25 or 3 fire hoods for £29....no brainer to go for the hoods? i seem to recall seeing somewhere that the hoods maybe shouldnt be used in this way...thoughts please :)

Sponsored Links
It would have been better to have added this to your existing topic as i have NO idea what you are planning.
It would be helpful if you can provide a link.
Also I have no idea what Screwfix products you are talking about.
Links to those help too.

Generally, what are you trying to achieve.????
You only need a firehood (or fire-rated fittings) if you have made a swiss cheese out of a ceiling that is fire-rated./ Is your bedroom ceiling fire-rated? I doubt it.

If you just want to maintain insulation over your downlights then do not use fire hoods, they are not meant for the job,

Use either something like THESE or THESE

You're going to be making holes in the ceiling, and there's a cold loft above - not only do you need to stop draughts coming down through the holes you need to stop air from the room getting into the loft.

If warm moist air from the room below gets into the loft, you can get condensation leading to rotting of the roof timbers, and inn a bedroom you tend to have people breathing out warm moist air for several hours a day.

Really you should have a sealed enclosure over the lights which will keep the insulation away from them so they don't overheat, support insulation over the top so that you keep the insulation you need, and act as a barrier to draughts and condensation.

You can either buy a pre-formed cover like this:

As TTC said it's not the same thing as a firehood - they won't do what you need.

Or build something yourself out of plasterboard, as per the details here: http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublicati...ical/StandardsExtra/filedownload,16553,en.pdf

Although I think the joist ones you have posted look much more upto the job.....many thanks :)
There's no way to seal those.

Sponsored Links
I feel like im jumping around here....you make a good point with the hats and they look much easier...... a lip of sealant and that will sort it for me.... i'll source a couple of those..thanks again chaps....very much appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back