Downlighter Wiring to avoid fire risks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found many loose terminal connections in various LV downlighter installations. These create an electrical arc risk and consequent fire hazard. The problem I have found is that many electricians seem to use use standard small 60mm junction boxes to connect LV transofrmers to the main celing wiring circuit, because they can be pushed into and removed easily from the ceiling holes where the downlighters are fitted.

There is a safer connection box which TLC can supply which is known as a "chocbox". This houses a standard teminal connector block and has cable clamps at each end to prevent cable slippage under tension. The transformer flex wires are secured on one side of each screw connector and the in/out solid copper wires are connected to the adjacent linked screw terminal. When the wires are connected and clamped tight the box is then screwed shut.

The "chocbox" is safer and much easier to connect up than junction boxes. I can't understand why are they not more commonly used ?

Sponsored Links
Better still buy the company that called it "Chocbox", change the name to something sensible and get it properly distributed.
The producer seems to be Electro Expo Ltd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back