Downlighter wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me?

I'm going to install 6 downlighters in my kitchen. I plan to daisy chain them together from a 20a junction box using 1mm twin and earth lighting cable. My questions are...

1. Is the 1mm cable suitable for 6 downlights (50W bulb)

2. The fittings are double insulated and 'should not be earthed'. Should I simply snip off the earth core and leave it?

3. The actual connection box on the fitting is small and it is really difficult to connect 2 cores into each 'terminal'. So I bought some 15A connector strip blocks and planned to make the daisy connection in to one side, and take another short length of cable from the other side to the fitting. Is that a sensible/safe idea? Or should I squeeze them into the terminal as best as possible?

Many thanks for all reponses!

Sponsored Links
Firstly, all electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable under Building regulations Part P. Your best route would be to get a registered spark to fit and certify the work.

You could do it yourself and notify your LABC before work starts but your post does indicate that you'll never get through their inspection.

Your specific questions:

It depends on the csa of the remainder of the lighting circuit and the supply fuse. If the rest is in 1.5mm and the supply fuse is 10amps then you gotta keep it all in 1.5mm

2. The fittings are double insulated and 'should not be earthed'. Should I simply snip off the earth core and leave it?

No you dont snip it. What on earth do you think its for (earth, geddit?)? Its there so the fuse blows if the cable gets damaged. Also you will have to check the Earth Fault loop Impedance at the end of the run after you finish so it can be certified. You cant do this if the earth isnt continuous.

3. . The actual connection box on the fitting is small and it is really difficult to connect 2 cores into each 'terminal'. So I bought some 15A connector strip blocks and planned to make the daisy connection in to one side, and take another short length of cable from the other side to the fitting. Is that a sensible/safe idea? Or should I squeeze them into the terminal as best as possible?

All connections must be in enclosed boxes and must be accessible. get some small round termination boxes or use the choc box enclosures.
You must not just stick them in term strip and stuff them back up the ceiling.

I hope you've got a fire alarm in your house, you might need it.

Hi TTC, thanks for your helpful comments. I had no idea that electrical work has to be inspected, the wiring diagrams say 'easy to fit'.....

Your specific questions:

It depends on the csa of the remainder of the lighting circuit and the supply fuse. If the rest is in 1.5mm and the supply fuse is 10amps then you gotta keep it all in 1.5mm

The cable is actually 1.5mm, my mistake. I have no idea what the core surface area(??) is, but I can check.

No you dont snip it. What on earth do you think its for (earth, geddit?)? Its there so the fuse blows if the cable gets damaged. Also you will have to check the Earth Fault loop Impedance at the end of the run after you finish so it can be certified. You cant do this if the earth isnt continuous.

There is no provision for any earth connection on the fitting...??? which leaves a lonely earth core. The wiring diagram states that it must not be earthed....

3. . The actual connection box on the fitting is small and it is really difficult to connect 2 cores into each 'terminal'. So I bought some 15A connector strip blocks and planned to make the daisy connection in to one side, and take another short length of cable from the other side to the fitting. Is that a sensible/safe idea? Or should I squeeze them into the terminal as best as possible?

All connections must be in enclosed boxes and must be accessible. get some small round termination boxes or use the choc box enclosures.
You must not just stick them in term strip and stuff them back up the ceiling.

I hope you've got a fire alarm in your house, you might need it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back