Downlighters and insulation in loft.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have had to pull away fibreglass insulation from the lights (downlighters).

i have about 100mm of insulation.
2 problems.
firstly what sort of cover can I use to safely cover lights and transformers, where can I buy in London.
secondly is 100mm insulation ok. everyone in the business says i need at least double that.
I need about 30 covers.
thanks,
sliktor :?:

Sponsored Links
Some downlights can be covered with insulation and some can't there should a symbol on the fitting informing you if it can.
One is an upside down triangle with a capital 'F' in it, that can be covered.
The other will show a fitting with insulation over it and a 'X' within in it, that can't be covered.
You could consider firehoods using or Fireguard Loft Brace as well or leave at least 150mm area around the fitting free from insulation.
and I would suggest 270mm of insulation in loft if rock/miner wool.

Links
http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/safety-in-the-home/DownlightConsumerWEb16.10.pdf

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...wnlight+hood&gclid=CMGHj_2AraYCFY4f4QodKBljaQ

30 covers could get expensive. You can make your own using plasterboard, small strips of wood and glue or screws. Some holes in the top/sides to let some of the heat out.

you can also use clay (not plastic) flowerpots.

This is not a joke.

Sponsored Links
Just finished my loft which has over 50 down lights in both fire-rated and non. I used plasterboard boxes that were roughly 400mm x 200mm x 100mm. Time consuming to make but a lot cheaper than the ones that you can buy and they have a similar volume of cooling air space.

I then ran the 170mm insulation over the top. There should be plenty of space to ensure that the fittings don't heat up too much, particularly as most of the lights are LED.

Be careful if you are using dichroic halogen lamps 'though. Better to replace them with aluminium reflectors that direct the heat down away from the fitting. Even better to use LED or CFLs that don't generate as much heat in the first place.

If there is free air passage between house and loft, the moist air will rise into the loft and if conditions are right for condensation to form, this will cause the fibre-wool to become soaked and the insulation value will be next to zero.

The theory is right, but in practice I've never been into a loft that's got visibly wet or mouldy insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back