downlighters / cooker point

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm putting in a new kitchen in and need some extra sockets. I have a dedicated cooker point that has 6mm cable running to it which I dont need to use any more. Could I run two normal spurs of it using 2.5mm cable?

Also I have purchased 15 x 50w mains downlighters there is an attic space above the kitchen but I can not reach a point where I need to install the downlighters and there is insulation down there that I don't think I can reach to remove.

Will the downlighters create enough heat to burn the insulation ?

Someone told me to put ceramic pots over each downlighter is this a good idea?

Sponsored Links
For the radial circuit (which you call a spur) you can do so. Downrate the protection to 32A, terminate the 6mm cable, then use 4mm T&E cable to link to the second socket. Its not ideal as you'll find it hard to terminate the 6mm and 4mm in the first socket - so make sure all your terminations are secure. I would advise rcd protection for the adapted socket circuit, especially if you have a TT supply.
PS I'm sure others will add to my comments so don't rush into this job.

Depending on the type, insulation may burn or smolder. The 240v spots don't create as much heat as the 12V ones but you'll still need to make sure the insulation is cleared from around the fittings. The ceramic pots covering the light fittings has been mentioned to you because you don't want 12V lamps to cool too quickly as it can cause the filament to rupture. With your 240V type fittings (ie no transformer) you need to just clear the insulation around it. Incidently how do you intend supplying the fittings if you can't access the roofspace. You're meant to clip cables in place you know!!!

i agree it can be done, but i wouldn't . although you know what you have done, what if you sell the house / forget and notice a 6mm cable in the consumers unit and change the fuse back to a bigger one, (yes i am being very pecimistic but thay me today)

spx,
breezer has a valid point here. You could use the existing conduit and rewire the circuit correctly by installing 4mm T&E to the first socket.

You'll still have to change the protection to 32A.

Sponsored Links
The other alternative to achieve his aim would be to terminate the 6mm into a fused spur, then take a 4mm from this to feed the two sockets.

It would be a pain connecting the 6 and 4mm's into a spur, but with a 45mm box and some care it can be done.

cheers guys -went with the 4mm worked great.

I bought the downlighters from screwfix direct but I think I purchased too many - it doesn't give any indication wether they can be used in a bathroom or what class they are - was thinking of putting the extras in the bathroom but unsure?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :?:

If they have no indication as to bathroom suitability, the answer is probably not.

Ring S/Fix and ask!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back