Downlighters - must be fireproof?

Sponsored Links
My view regarding fire rated down lights is that surely because I am damaging the fire withstanding properties of the plasterboard ceiling, regardless of whether it is designed as such then steps should be taken to repair it to its previous standard of fire resistivity
I'm sure Building Control would have something similar to say.

Personally I'd appreciate a bit more time to get out of a property if I was upstairs and a fire was in a room below, the fire is surely going to come roaring through into the ceiling void in no time without fire rated fittings.

I think the only job I've ever done that HAD to have fire rated fittings was where a customer wanted down lights in their garage, above which was a bedroom.

Most of the integrated LED down lights these days are fire rated by default anyway.

Personally I'd appreciate a bit more time to get out of a property if I was upstairs and a fire was in a room below, the fire is surely going to come roaring through into the ceiling void in no time without fire rated fittings.

You'll probably find that the fire is roaring up that big hole called the stairs. So you are stuck. Better to buy a fire escape ladder and smoke alarms.

Sponsored Links
1) Not according to tests done on how downlighter holes affect the performance of 30 minute ceilings.

2) It's irrelevant anyway - by the time a fire had taken hold enough for the heat to cause the intumescent materials in the lights to do their thing you would be dead or unconscious from smoke inhalation.

My view regarding fire rated down lights is that surely because I am damaging the fire withstanding properties of the plasterboard ceiling, regardless of whether it is designed as such then steps should be taken to repair it to its previous standard of fire resistivity
I'm sure Building Control would have something similar to say.

I think the only job I've ever done that HAD to have fire rated fittings was where a customer wanted down lights in their garage, above which was a bedroom.

Most of the integrated LED down lights these days are fire rated by default anyway.

So why did you HAVE to fit them?

If you drill a 64mm hole in a ceiling, you have affected the fire integrity of the ceiling. The construction method and materials used to build the ceiling determine the fire rating, ie 30 minutes or 1.5 hours. Once you have drilled the hole, you have a responsibility to reinstate the integrity of it. You can look all day at regs talking about rooms above etc but really its irrelevant. If the ceiling is rated at less than 30 mins, ie one layer of plasterboard, then its pointless fitting a one hour fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back