Downlighters - which ones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to this forum and would very much appreacite some advice

I am renovating my house and as part of that I am getting a total rewire done. I would like to put in some downlighters attached to a dimmer switch, however I'm not sure whether I should put in GU10's or LED downlighters. Which one is better? If I was to go with the LED version do I buy standard GU10 downlights and put in the LED bulbs? Which LED bulbs are the best (for thier price).

I have no clue when it comes to these things and dont want to be talked into buying something I dont need by the store salesman, so I would appreciate any advice I could get on here before I venture out to the shops - also, which place is the best to buy these things from for the best price?

Sponsored Links
A quartz lamp should not be dimmed it really shortens the lamp life.
LED's can be dimmed as can discharge lamps but the lamps are very expensive.
In hot countries where discharge lighting has been used for many years the norm is to split the lights 1/3 and 2/3 giving three levels of light.
The main thing is how much you want to spend as lamps able to be dimmed are normally £10+ each.
Shops are unlikely to help much most shop assistances don't know that quartz lamps should not be dimmed as of course you can dim them but they don't last long.

Shops are unlikely to help much most shop assistances don't know that quartz lamps should not be dimmed as of course you can dim them but they don't last long.
And most think the only downlight available is halogen. Ask them about LED or CFL and they are stumped. :rolleyes:

A few things to be aware of:
CFLs take about 2 minutes to warm up, dimmable or not.
LED manufacturers overstate their light output.
Halogens give a concentrated light output in a small space. CFLs dont.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:10-reasons-why-not-to-install-downlights
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:gu10

Sponsored Links
The best downlighters are the ones that come with the "b-a-s" seal of approval

( OP ignore , forum humour )

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:10-reasons-why-not-to-install-downlights[/QUOTE]
Read this one instead: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:10-reasons-why-not-to-install-downlights?rev=1189585087 - it's the version before DoctorC wrecked it.

The problem with 2" diameter downlights is that they are not designed to provide general room illumination. Remember when people used to call them spotlights? The came out of the retail display market, and they were designed to spotlight, or highlight, individual items or specific features.

Fiddling with the type of lamp in them is a bit like converting a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon to run on LPG - the consumption will still be carp.

You may find a valid use for a few lights like that, but to attempt to light an entire house with them is utter folly.

If you want fluorescent lighting, use luminaires designed to provide room illumination using fluorescent lamps - 2" recessed ones using fluorescent lamps will be useless and wasteful in comparison.

If you want LED lighting, use luminaires designed to provide room illumination using LED lamps - 2" recessed ones using LED lamps will be useless and wasteful in comparison.

Another alternative you have not mentioned is ELV Lights.....Most Sparks will say that the Quality of the light output is superior to the LV variety.
The best advice would be to consult the Electricians{s} doing your Rewire.....I take it you are employing Qualified Electricians for this task !!1

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:10-reasons-why-not-to-install-downlights[/QUOTE]
Read this one instead: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:10-reasons-why-not-to-install-downlights?rev=1189585087 - it's the version before DoctorC wrecked it.

The problem with 2" diameter downlights is that they are not designed to provide general room illumination. Remember when people used to call them spotlights? The came out of the retail display market, and they were designed to spotlight, or highlight, individual items or specific features.

Fiddling with the type of lamp in them is a bit like converting a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon to run on LPG - the consumption will still be carp.

You may find a valid use for a few lights like that, but to attempt to light an entire house with them is utter folly.

If you want fluorescent lighting, use luminaires designed to provide room illumination using fluorescent lamps - 2" recessed ones using fluorescent lamps will be useless and wasteful in comparison.

If you want LED lighting, use luminaires designed to provide room illumination using LED lamps - 2" recessed ones using LED lamps will be useless and wasteful in comparison.

here we go again....

downlighters have their use..

so use them....

I'm not insulting anybody.

And there is a significant difference between engineering inefficiency and personal taste in flowered fabrics and tassels.

I give my views on downlighters, and I make no apologies for them. Other people give their views, and people looking for information can consider all of them and make their own decision. I'm sure that not every single person who has fitted, or plans to fit them, has really thought about the implications of the sort of lighting they'll provide, or the number they'll need, or the consequences of perforating their ceilings.

He hasn't wrecked it. He's just given a different opinion to yours, and I personally think he's right.
A different opinion is one thing, "editing" the article in the way he did is quite another.

If he'd changed the title to something like "Pros & Cons of Downlighters" and added a second section to list what he sees as the Pros that would have been fine, but IMO what he did, which basically was to scribble in capital letters over it, was unacceptable and has wrecked it.

The Wiki should contain accurate, fair and balanced advice and information. Anybody is free to add to it and to change it but they should respect its nature, and its primary purpose as a repository of reference data. It's not a discussion forum, or a place to have arguments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back