Downlighters - which ones?

Read this one instead: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:10-reasons-why-not-to-install-downlights?rev=1189585087 - it's the version before DoctorC wrecked it.

Points 1 and 5 - merely an opinion.

Point 2 - not a problem if you use CFL's

Point 3 - if most electrical equipment isn't installed correctly it can cause a fire. Avoid this by installing them correctly!

Point 4 can't be relevant as if they're installed correctly then it's up to the installer to ensure that insulation is replaced correctly.

Point's 6 and 7 can't be relevant as if the ceiling is a fire barrier then fire rated downlights would be used. If sound travel was a problem then acoustic rated fittings would be used.
I always use fire and acoustic rated fittings as standard.

Point 8 - place them to light the room, not pieces of furniture.

Point 9 doesn't seem to mention that there are many downlighters which accept CFL's without any protruding problems.

Point 10 - use CFL's!!!

Point 11 - typical of this one sided article, titled '10 reasons......'!

Sponsored Links
Points 1 and 5 - merely an opinion.
Indeed, but valid opinions none the less, and no reason not to state them. Refurbishing a ceiling peppered with holes is a lot bigger job than replacing different luminaire types for style reasons, so if someone is contemplating installing them because they think it's the de facto choice, and is what everyone likes, maybe they should pause to consider the fact that it ain't necessarily so.

And as for #5, the rebuttal was WHEN THE OVERALL LIGHTING DESIGN IS POORLY CONSIDERED. WHEN PART OF A WHOLLISTIC (sic) LIGHTING DESIGN, THEY WORK VERY WELL. THAT'S WHAT ARCHITECTS AND LIGHTING DESIGNERS DO FOR A LIVING.

9 times out of 10, 99 times out of 100, or whatever, no holistic design is done, no design expertise is employed, people just bung in hundreds and hundreds of watts of lighting and hope for the best.

Point 2 - not a problem if you use CFL's
The relative inefficiency of the design affects CFLs to just the same extent it does incandescents. Plus, if environmental costs are one of your concerns you shouldn't use CFLs with built-in ballasts anyway.

Point 3 - if most electrical equipment isn't installed correctly it can cause a fire. Avoid this by installing them correctly!
True, but greater attention to fire risks has to be paid - it can complicate the installation process.

Point 4 can't be relevant as if they're installed correctly then it's up to the installer to ensure that insulation is replaced correctly.
True, but that can definitely complicate the installation process - it will take longer and cost more, and in some situations it will be impossible to do. This is a real drawback.

Point's 6 and 7 can't be relevant as if the ceiling is a fire barrier then fire rated downlights would be used. If sound travel was a problem then acoustic rated fittings would be used.
Not everybody does. It limits the choices of luminaire, and it is a real issue which people need to consider as part of their overall decision making process.

They aren't designed to do that. Making them work in that application requires an excessive number of fittings compared to ones which are designed to light room spaces.

Point 9 doesn't seem to mention that there are many downlighters which accept CFL's without any protruding problems.
And some that don't.

And how bright are CFLs which are constrained to fit more or less within an MR16 envelope? How efficient are they compared to real (tube only) CFLs in luminaires with good quality HF ballasts?

Point 10 - use CFL's!!!
Point 10 is irrelevant - I've had a CFL explode - I guess any lamp type can possibly do that.

See my comment above about presenting the other side of the argument, but in a proper way, not the mess which DoctorC has gone for.

As for there being 11 points, go and take that up with sm1thson who created the "10 reasons..." article and then added an 11th one at 10:54 on 13/03/07...

True, but greater attention to fire risks has to be paid - it can complicate the installation process.

If the installer can't pay great attention to fire risks when installing electrical equipment then he has no place in this business.

True, but that can definitely complicate the installation process - it will take longer and cost more, and in some situations it will be impossible to do. This is a real drawback.

Yes, it may be complicated but if installed correctly then it's not an issue. If some situations are impossible (most aren't) then they're not suitable for that application.

Not everybody does. It limits the choices of luminaire, and it is a real issue which people need to consider as part of their overall decision making process.

It's not a reason not to use a downlighter though as there are options available for most situations.

They aren't designed to do that. Making them work in that application requires an excessive number of fittings compared to ones which are designed to light room spaces.

I've had success by installing them to look cosmetically appealing (an opinion) and equally balanced to light the room in question.

And some that don't.

But it was stated as a reason not to use a downlighter. I'm merely saying that there are downlighters available that don't have the protrusion problem so this point isn't applicable IMO.

Point 10 - use CFL's!!!
Point 10 is irrelevant - I've had a CFL explode - I guess any lamp type can possibly do that.

I can accept that.

See my comment above about presenting the other side of the argument, but in a proper way, not the mess which DoctorC has gone for.

As for there being 11 points, go and take that up with sm1thson who created the "10 reasons..." article and then added an 11th one at 10:54 on 13/03/07...

Yeah, I saw that but it just made me chuckle along with you being the first to reply. I'd have put my house on that one :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back