downlighters, what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry bout all the questions lately just want to get this installation right.
with regard to my downlighters which are double insulated what do i do with regards to the earth, i know your not suppossed to cut it back but there is no room in the termination box of the downlight to leave it, would terminating the earth at the downlighter jb and cutting off at the downlight itself be acceptable leaving plenty of slack in the cable so cable can be reterminated for use with non class 2 items. hope all this makes sense, thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Bring the incoming and outgoing supply cables into a small 3 terminal junction box at each downlight and then run 2 core to the fitting itself, then you'll keep earth continuity. It's near impossible to fit two T+E cables into a downlight terminal box anyway, so you'll make your life far easier.

i hear what u r saying but i have 18 downlights in total downstairs in three rooms dont really want 2 have 18 small jb's! in the ceiling i was thinking of using a ashley j501 jb and leaving by 1 downlight in each room and then daisy chaining in and out of lights with twin + e with the earth cut back this way the earth can be reconnected in jb if class 1 items r used and the daisy chain earths connected together by cutting cable back slightly, i will leave plenty of slack.will this be ok when it comes to testing as i will have earth continuity at the jb but obviously non on the lights themselves?sorry for being so long winded

no your daisy chain of cables feeding your lights will still have no cpc connected.

see the post above yours for the correct way to do it.just replace small jbs with your ashley jobbies.

Sponsored Links
the cpc on the daisy chain will in effect then be doing nothing it wont be earthing the lights still just means a hell of a lot of extra connections, continuity on the daisy chain could easily be acheived in the future if class 1 fitting were used does anybody agree or am i completely in the wrong?

the cpc on the daisy chain will not be doing nothing :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back