Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wire 4 or 5 downlighters in place of a flourescent tube light in my kitchen, keeping the existing switch as is.
Can I wire them in sequence without using numerous junction boxes?
What diameter cable should I use?
The ceiling the downlighters will be in is below a roof cavity, can insulation be rolled over them or will I have to box them in? Best way to box in?
Thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
I want to wire 4 or 5 downlighters in place of a flourescent tube light in my kitchen, keeping the existing switch as is.

WHY ?

For a kitchen that is used for cooking the spread of light from a flourescent tube light is far better than the localised pools of light from downlighters.

Just my opinion

firstly are you aware this is notifiable work?

Secondly, you will need to fit some kind of fire hood to each light fixing if they a recessed into the cieling. You cant really just lay insulation over them.

Thirdly, wiring them in sequence is not a problem, but again there are many issues with doing this in a kitchen wihout taking propper precautions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back